ewh
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Garmin 705 redesign?

Just saw Colorado Cyclist is having a firesale on the 705 and wondering if that means too much stock or dumping soon to be obsolete 705s for a redesign. Anyone have news on that?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    705 is more than 3 years old now and you can get the Colorado to do almost everything the Edge can now

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've been looking for a 705.I just checked their web site and only 305's were on sale. Am I missing something?

Masher
    This smells suspiciously like a cheap trick to generate traffic to Colorado Cyclist.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Question on Colorado...

Quote Originally Posted by IntenseMojo
    705 is more than 3 years old now and you can get the Colorado to do almost everything the Edge can now
    Intense:

Will the Colorado do the 'virtual partner' routine and allow ride sharing?? I looked at these units and was concerned about how much juice would be drained with that massive TFT screen. I guess you could log the ride with the screen off...

Thanks,
    Andrew.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by neex
    Intense:

Will the Colorado do the 'virtual partner' routine and allow ride sharing?? I looked at these units and was concerned about how much juice would be drained with that massive TFT screen. I guess you could log the ride with the screen off...

Thanks,
    Andrew.
    None of the reviews I have read state anything about virtual partner or other training features. Those seem to be only in the Edge series training GPS units.

Carry lots of extra batteries. At least they are AA and can be replaced in the field.

http://www.gpsinformation.org/penrod.../colorado.html
    Unwelcome Surprises

1. The Colorado goes through batteries much faster than older Garmin units. My experience has been the Nimh are the best, as you will be changing batteries more frequently. I use Lithiums when going hiking, because they will last the longest. If you want to use external power, you must either buy the cables listed as official accessories and sold by Garmin or set the unit to be in 'spanner' mode in the system interface. This will allow older Garmin USB power cables I have, that work with the 60CSx and Vista HCx to power your Colorado. I did go for the Colorado auto kit which includes the cable and a suction cup mount, which from my experience works very well. Some early Colorado units apparently were faulty and had battery issues. If you are getting less than eight hours of battery use, then you should contact Garmin Tech Support and see if they will exchange your unit.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

3D guy
    Back to the main topic...

Colorado Cyclist (not the Garmin Colorado) seems to have the 705 with HR/Cad for $399 that IS a good price.

The 405 got redesigned recently (405CX with new cal calculation) so there could be a new "705" in the works. I have a 305 which I cracked the clear plastic 3 years ago (annoying but still going strong), I would love o replace it but full price for just color (and some other things) seemed like a lot as long as my 305 work. Would love to see what the follow on is.
    Geoff Stahl
    San Jose

BLTc, Chameleon Single Speed, Speedvagen Road