mtbr member

Garmin 705 or Oregon?

I'm looking at this 2 models for cycling.

Which one would you choose?

The Oregon seems to have better graphics and bigger screen plus the function of heart rate and cadence? Is this better than 705 for cycling?

What do you think?

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabeRacer

The Oregon seems to have better graphics and bigger screen plus the function of heart rate and cadence? Is this better than 705 for cycling?

What do you think?
    Last I knew, and I may be out of date, the Oregon only displays HR and Cad, it will not record it for download. I upgraded from a 305 (used 3 years) to 705, and have had a 60CSx for longer. For pure cycling, the 705 is smaller, easier, more functions. For pure navigation when you are trying to find a particular point (like brushed in old trail entrances), the 60CSx is wonderful. Your most important use will determine what is best for you.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Explore More

The Oregon is cool, but...

The 705 is Garmins top model designed specifically for cycling. The Oregon is really designed for hiking/exploring in general, though it does have the nice touchscreen design and it does have the largest display of any of Garmins outdoor models. If you're really wanting a system for riding, go with the 705.

The maps are different only because there are different mapping programs preloaded on the units. If you want the same type of mapping found on the Oregon, you just need to buy either the Garmin Topo USA(100K scale) or the Topo 24K mapping packages.

Then again, just go to www.gpsfiledepot.com and you can find out how to install mapsource on your pc, then download 24k state topo maps, which you can then download to your gps unit. Best part of it all is that this option is free, though you could send a little something their way if you like their mappings and decide to stick with this option.

Hope that helps you out some.

mtbr member
    Thanks slocaus & DesertDog, for what I do I'm leaning towards the 705. Do you know where I can get a better deal on 705?

trail rat
    GeoMan, www.geomangear.com, and member here, usually has the best prices around. He has superior service as well. At least give him a chance to match any other price you might have found.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    does the edge 705 has the ability to change settings from miles/hr to kilo meters/hr?

"Mr. Britannica"
    does the edge 705 has the ability to change settings from miles/hr to kilo meters/hr?

just about every cyclocomputer right down to the $15 cheapos can do that

Scott in Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    Last I knew, and I may be out of date, the Oregon only displays HR and Cad, it will not record it for download. I upgraded from a 305 (used 3 years) to 705, and have had a 60CSx for longer. For pure cycling, the 705 is smaller, easier, more functions. For pure navigation when you are trying to find a particular point (like brushed in old trail entrances), the 60CSx is wonderful. Your most important use will determine what is best for you.
    The Oregon will display and record HR and CAD data, but not power. It's stored in a GPX file, strangely enough.

I sold my Oregon, however, because it's almost impossible to read the screen when it's on the bars. OK for hiking (held in the hand), but terrible for cycling, IMO.

I'd look at the VistaHCX over the 705 if you want to do much navigation and want longer battery life (replaceable batteries).
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

Riding a Rig.
    Get a Vista HCx. Can be had for close to 200.00 on sale and is extremely capable.
    "Physics is timeless. Marketing and bs never lasts. Thats been proven time and time again."
    -Dave Weagle

mtbr member
    which map source did you all use (from micro SD or editing DVD to SD card transfer)?

Explore More
    Oh yeah, and it's easier than some of the screwball sequences you have to do on most regular cyclometers.

Press the Menu button, select Settings, then Units. Then, change the Distance and Elevation field to Metric, instead of Statute.

Here is a link to the 705 User Guide (Adobe PDF file). You can give it a look and figure out a few things out before you get your unit.

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/2297_OwnersManual.pdf

Explore More
    which map source did you all use (from micro SD or editing DVD to SD card transfer)?

If you buy any additional maps, get them on CD, not the micro SD card. If you get the card version, you won't be able to install/use the maps on your PC. Quite limiting for my purposes, but not everyone feels that way.

mtbr member
    Thanks DesertDog, I will get the CD/SD combo.

With Garmin Edge 705 does it only accept 2G SD card or can I get a bigger one such as 4G or 8G so I can fit other maps, such as city and other countries?
    Last edited by wannabeRacer; 04-08-2009 at 12:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I tried to use an 8GB microSD High Capacity class 6, (SDHC) and it did'nt appear neither in "My computer" as a drive, nor in Garmin , and EDGE 705 refused to start..
    So, no, I think that it only recognizes "older" than SDHC cards and up to 2 GB...

trail rat
    Thanks DesertDog, I will get the CD/SD combo.

With Garmin Edge 705 does it only accept 2G SD card or can I get a bigger one such as 4G or 8G so I can fit other maps, such as city and other countries?
    Two things:

First, look at www.gpsfiledepot.com for maps in your area. They have some free 20 foot contour topo maps, but not all states are available. There is also Ibycus that is cities, highways, streets, very detailed, free, but not routeable. There is also a tutorial about installing Garmin Training Center (free from Garmin), then Mapsource (free from Garmin) so that the other available maps there can be loaded onto your PC, and then into the GPS. I have them in my 705 and 60CSx. Excellent maps!

Second, an upgrade for the GPSMAP60 series GPS were just released that support maps larger than 2 GB for the purpose of supporting larger SD cards. Maybe, maybe, that will trickle over to the 705 series units, I hope. I have already left a comment for Gramin requesting that feature.
    CCCMB web - Facebook