mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Garmin 705 and Mac

How do you use your Garmin 705 with your mac? Software?

Living Life Behind Bars..

Ascent for MAC

This is what I have been using and I think it is great.

http://montebellosoftware.com/

I was also able to use Garmin Connect and Motion Based on my MAC as well. I just liked the interface on the Ascent better.

Hack Racer
    To be honest, I use XP on my MAC by bootcamp for the Edge705. I find the Mac versions of Mapsource/Training center and the like lacking. Plus support for MAPS on the Mac side are non existent, and everything is meant for PC.

Riding or Drumming
    Quote Originally Posted by g-t-
    This is what I have been using and I think it is great.

http://montebellosoftware.com/

I was also able to use Garmin Connect and Motion Based on my MAC as well. I just liked the interface on the Ascent better.
    +1 on Ascent. The Garmin software blows for Mac AND PC. I too did Boot Camp with XP prior to but much prefer Ascent's metrics and interface. Quite a stable app too.
    Tallboy
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Salsa Mukluk
    Surly Big Dummy

GeoMan
    Ascent gets great customer reviews. Very popular among Mac users (myself included).
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    Is there a thread that gives some clear guidance on how to upload routes/courses to the 705 from Ascent? I have managed to get completely confused on how to do this.

Thanks
    13 Stumpy FSR Expert Carbon 29
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have never been able to get the training software to recognize my Edge 705 and I think Garmin has updated Garmin Connect, Safari doesn't work any more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fliernh
    Is there a thread that gives some clear guidance on how to upload routes/courses to the 705 from Ascent? I have managed to get completely confused on how to do this.

Thanks
    I just dump the CRS file directly into the "Courses" folder on my 705 using finder on my Mac.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkty14
    I just dump the CRS file directly into the "Courses" folder on my 705 using finder on my Mac.
    What is a CRS file? The only options I am familiar with to export out of Ascent are TCX and GPX. I am confused.
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fliernh
    What is a CRS file? The only options I am familiar with to export out of Ascent are TCX and GPX. I am confused.
    File used to take advantage of the "courses" feature on the 705, basically training against yourself on a previous ride or against someone who sent you the file. Sites like Mapmyride.com can generate such a file once you've entered a speed or time you'd like to beat, or you can create on from a track you've previously recorded on the unit.

You can perform the same drag and drop with a TCX file and I believe with a GPX. I've only done this with CRS and TCX so your results may vary.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

mtbr member
    just do the same with your tcx files

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    Is anyone making the files with Ascent software or are you all making them with the Garmin software? I cannot get my 705 to connect with my Mac when using windows through Parallels and the Mac version of Garmin software is pretty weak so I have been using Ascent for the Mac.

I am guessing my GPX and TCX files are not fully compatible due to being made in Ascent. I get all kinds of funny names and the files I make sometimes just do not appear when I copy them to the Garmin as suggested.
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have looked at all the packages and I paid for rubiTrack http://www.rubitrack.com/

I also keep an eye on the free trailRunner as it has potential and is free.

David

mtbr member
    Is anyone making the files with Ascent software or are you all making them with the Garmin software? I cannot get my 705 to connect with my Mac when using windows through Parallels and the Mac version of Garmin software is pretty weak so I have been using Ascent for the Mac.
    I actually haven't tried exporting tcx's from ascent to my 705, i usually plan my routes online or by using mapsource on parallels. then i convert the gpxfilfe with tcx - converter, works really well, although the translation is not finally done yet

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by drjos
    I have looked at all the packages and I paid for rubiTrack http://www.rubitrack.com/

David
    Just checked out rubiTrack and it seems really nice. Thanks for the tip!

Riding or Drumming
    Quote Originally Posted by drjos

David
    I've played with these before buying Ascent. The interface is fantastic on both but I thought both needed more polishing and more metrics. Definitely something to watch...
    Tallboy
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Salsa Mukluk
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hmm... RubiTrack spins forever trying to import a .gpx file. So that's an F.

The interesting challenge with gps tracks from mountain bike rides is the elevation. Without any additional correction either from the device itself (barometric) or in the software the ascent/descent numbers are way off. As much as I'd like to believe I climbed 8400 ft on a 1.5h ride, it ain't true... . Trailrunner has a fixed altitude noise filter which makes it 5600 ft but that's still too much. Ascent has an adjustable smoothing which at the higher settings gives a more realistic 1900 ft.. For comparison purposes it would be nice to know how Garmin/motionbased calculates the ascent/descent numbers.

C>
    Last edited by csuder99; 05-18-2009 at 12:08 AM.

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Back around Jan-March before I moved back to a PC and had just bought a 705, I was looking for a good solution for Mac to keep all my training data. Ascent was the best I found, but it was far from being up to the functionality of Polar ProTrainer.

In the end I've moved my training data and tracking back over to the PC using SportTracks. If you can handle having to use a VM for your training planning/data, I'd maybe recommend just using SportTracks under a Windows VM over Ascent.
    Quote Originally Posted by tom2304
    Yep farkin.net is mostly immature kids asking how to put dual crown forks on hardtails and such.

Get out and ride
    Sep 2003
    Go to Motionbased.com, there you can upload your data to their site.

Jeff

GeoMan
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com