Living Life Behind Bars..

Garmin 705 / Garmin Connect download questions

Hi there, used the comments on this forum to make my mind up and I bought a 705 recently. So far I have about 20 or so rides saved in Garmin connect. When I am, in my dashboard and it lays the route out on top of Google maps which in turn gives you a few options to view ( hybrid, sat, terrain etc )

If I want to increase the map size in that small window I lose parts of the ride in that screen real estate. Is there a way to overlay the trip data on to a 3-d map ?

Is it possible to have one chart that shows different measurements ( speed, elevation and distance ?

Any info would be great and thanks.

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by g-t-
    Hi there, used the comments on this forum to make my mind up and I bought a 705 recently. So far I have about 20 or so rides saved in Garmin connect. When I am, in my dashboard and it lays the route out on top of Google maps which in turn gives you a few options to view ( hybrid, sat, terrain etc )

If I want to increase the map size in that small window I lose parts of the ride in that screen real estate. Is there a way to overlay the trip data on to a 3-d map ?

Is it possible to have one chart that shows different measurements ( speed, elevation and distance ?

Any info would be great and thanks.
    Export the GPX file and then load it into Google Earth for the best 3D tracks on hills in wide screen and high resolution with snappy controls.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

thanks

now I just have to figure out what a GPX file is ? I bought with 2 topo cd roms and I am using a MAC. Not sure if that matters ?

thx

Slowest Rider

GPX files

Quote Originally Posted by g-t-
    now I just have to figure out what a GPX file is ? I bought with 2 topo cd roms and I am using a MAC. Not sure if that matters ?

thx
    A GPX file format is a universal GPS data exchange format that includes waypoints, routes, and tracks. Most all GPS and mapping programs accept this file format for input and output. The files usually have the *.gpx extension.

You can click the "GPX" button at the bottom of the summary page in Motion Based to export this file format and download it to your computer. This is especially nice for importing someone else's track into your mappnig program. I haven't used Garmin Connect yet, but there should be a similar export method.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Thanks Larry, I will give it a shot this wknd. Appreciate the info. I shoul dhave stated up front as well that I am a technical idiot