Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

garmin 705 bike mount failure?

I am looking at buying a 705, and some searching on google it seems lots of people have issues with the bike mount breaking and then loosing their 705's etc. etc. Anyone here having the same issues? Any way to fix it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I have not broken any mounts for my 305.

It has shaken loose from the mounts and fell to the ground on 2 occasions in the probably 400 MTB rides I have taken it on. One time a friend picked it up, and the other time I heard it hit the ground. Luckily it was not damaged.

So they certainly can fallout and its an expensive toy to lose. Something similar to a safety chain on a trailer is not a bad idea. So if it does come out it just dangles from a string for a second, rather then get bounced down the trail.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by _daemon_
    I am looking at buying a 705, and some searching on google it seems lots of people have issues with the bike mount breaking and then loosing their 705's etc. etc. Anyone here having the same issues? Any way to fix it?
    Don't know where you heard this. The 205/305/605/705 all use the same mount. They are cheap and we sell them as a single or 4-pack.

Frankly, I rode three years without replacing one. This is not a big issue that should affect your purchase decision.

Get a 705 or 305. You'll wonder what all this "hubbub" was all about.

Enjoy!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    yeah it's no huge issue. i even broke the little knub (protuding lever) but the unit still snaps and locks in place--and my fingernail is easily used to get at the inner piece of the lever that's still left to get it to "unlock".

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks guys, will be picking up my 705 then next week

trail rat
    I have five mounts that are all three years or more old and have been on probably eight different bikes, and with stem changes, probably been remounted 25 to 30 times.. Nothing has failed, broken, fallen off, nothing. There was a thread here a year or so back that folks were catching the release tab and breaking mounts, but for me, that has never been an issue. shrug....

CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

MTBR Contributing Editor
    No breaks or issues with my Edge mounts, have them on 3 bikes and they see 3 days a week of hard mountain biking for over 3 years now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Since the mount is made of plastic I doubt it was ever intended for rough mountain biking. Probably works better for the road than trails. But it would be nice if someone came up with a stronger mounting system.
    Last edited by Resist; 05-02-2009 at 07:43 PM.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Resist
    Since mount is made of plastic I doubt it was ever intended for rough mountain biking.
    Really? Garmin does not seem to agree (link). Lots of pictures of the Edge on mountain bikes there.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

GeoMan
    Since mount is made of plastic I doubt it was ever intended for rough mountain biking. Probably works better for the road than trails.
    The mount is not a problem on either a mountain or road bike.

But it would be nice if someone came up with a stronger mounting system.
    There you go... A market opportunity, go for it!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Since mount is made of plastic I doubt it was ever intended for rough mountain biking. Probably works better for the road than trails. But it would be nice if someone came up with a stronger mounting system.
    The mounting system is fine, 3 years of heavy abuse on multiple mountain bikes with no issues, I ride through rock gardens and rocky terrain all the time, and as long as you tighten the mount properly it should be fine. I can't say the same for my Edge 305, one of them died on me (under warranty), and every couple of months the unit just seems to give up the ghost and then will start working again.

trail rat
    Only smooth trails for me.....

This is called "What? Trail" for obvious reasons.
    I have more troubles here than my old 305 or new 705.

CCCMB web - Facebook

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    Only smooth trails for me.....

This is called "What? Trail" for obvious reasons.
    I have more troubles here than my old 305 or new 705.

I've got a trail that looks almost exactly similar. There's no problem with the mounting system even on rides like this one. Nice!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

MTBR Contributing Editor

mtbr member
    I never had any issues with mine through rocky sections and jumps

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    I have broken two of them. I have no idea how, I just looked at them one day and saw each was broken. Both the broken ones were from my MTB. I tend to agree they are pretty marginal for tough and frequent use.

Love the 705 though. Would be very pissed to lose it due to cheap mount. I agree a better mount would sure be a welcome thing.
    13 Stumpy FSR Expert Carbon 29
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race

mtbr member
    from a friend that works for garmin, they have beefed up the mounts, give them a call and they may hook you up with a new one no charge
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter916
    from a friend that works for garmin, they have beefed up the mounts, give them a call and they may hook you up with a new one no charge
    Thanks, I just bought three new (old) mounts on line so I am sending Garmin a note asking how I can get the new ones instead. We'll see if they respond.

Thanks for the info.
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race

fliernh
    Aug 2008

I was just in contact with Garmin. The Customer Service people checked and to their knowledge, there is no change to the Edge mounts.

I guess just be easy on them......
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fliernh
    The Customer Service people checked and to their knowledge, there is no change to the Edge mounts.
    I called Garmin as well and was told the same thing.

Let's ride SuperModerator
    I've broken 3 mounts with my edge 305. None yet with the new, replaced mounts using my 705.

In all 3 cases, the tab breaks and then the device falls off.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    The only time I managed to break the mount on my 705 was when I had a massive wipeout while downhilling at a ski resort.
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The only time I broke one was once when I flipped the bike upside down to fix a chain. The little release tab broke. Of course this was a day before a big race, and I didnt have an extra one. So I just zip tied it on and it was fine. I use a pony tail holder to help keep in place, just in case. I just cut it and tie it around the stem and the edge. Not sure if will help or not, but at least it makes me feel a little bit better. It would really suck to lose it.

GeoMan
    they have beefed up the mounts, give them a call and they may hook you up with a new one no charge
    Garmin hasn't released any new mounts.

BTW, we sell mounts in a 4-pack with free shipping - just in case you need them... click here
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_Frk
    The only time I broke one was once when I flipped the bike upside down to fix a chain. The little release tab broke. Of course this was a day before a big race, and I didnt have an extra one. So I just zip tied it on and it was fine. I use a pony tail holder to help keep in place, just in case. I just cut it and tie it around the stem and the edge. Not sure if will help or not, but at least it makes me feel a little bit better. It would really suck to lose it.
    Can you post a pic of the safety strap? I have been thinking about something like this.
    Can you hook that up to your car?.......

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast