mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Garmin 705/305 Mounting on Enduro SL -PIC

I mounted my 705 on the Enduro XL today -- and realized its way too LOW... Has anyone had any luck mounting it up higher? Trying to figure out the best way to mount it several inches higher so I can see while riding.

Just realized the pic is not very good at showing where the mount is.. I want to mount it on the very top - about 3 inches up - not sure what that part of the stem is called.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Mounting

You CAN mount it on the Handlebar instead, then you can adjust it to ANY angle you wanted. THE Garmin Mounts are designed to be used on EITHER the Stem or Handlebar.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Gotcha - I wanted to mount it in the center --- but may have to mount it to one side or the other if I can't figure out how to on the stem at the top of the bars. I also thought if it was on the bars it might not be as secure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yeah the stem area is more protected in a crash, but if you move it up high enough that it would be in front of the bars then even in the center on the stem it will be more exposed.

Used to be several companies made bike computer extensions of different types, but I seem to remember one that went on the stem and you could mount a computer out in front of the stem, used mostly for road bikes where after wrapping the bars there is little to no room left to mount anything.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Mounting

I have a Maverick with a DUC fork, so my setup is about the same as yours. It appears you may have used the wedge mount. I did initially and found viewing better without the wedge.

I don't want a bar mount because the GPS is more exposed. That is the reason I replaced my HCX with the 705. I have been thinking about a way to mount the HCX on the stem. It certainly performs better than the 705. I did find that getting one reconditioned after a crash was not that expensive!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I used the wedge in order to get the 705 to sit flat - otherwise it was riding on the metal of the neck. I may have to take it off and see if it will work without the rubber strip as I used that on the neck - then the wedge.

I have seen nice mounts on Power meter's - but have not seen something for MTN bike's ----

At present I can't read it w/out stopping which is a PITA.. I hope by removing the wedge I get a better angle so I can see it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I have mine hopoked to the top tube to protect it from the many crashes I seem to enjoy. I always wonder the ones I see sitting up and out on the bars like that. Seems risky??

mtbr member
    Turn the wedge around so that the fat part is at the bottom rather than the top. This might sound counter intuitive but it actually makes the display much easier to see while your riding

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yep - I experimented with that - It is a bit better but I still need to get it much higher to really be able to use it while riding...

Hack Racer
    You need something like this:

I've never seen one on a mountain bike before. I find it difficult to read the unit while riding over rough stuff. So I don't even bother anymore now. I just use it when I pause or I'm at a junction and want to make a decision which way to go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Nice - I just like to be able to look down and see cadence, or HR - or distance etc... I'll look into something like this.