mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Garmin 510 with a Spin Bike for Training

Currently in the process of building a home gym and looking into getting a spin bike. Is anybody out there using a 510 with a spin bike to record distance, time, HR, etc. for training? If so, what spin bike? Trying to get out of buying another computer that does the same thing as my 510.

for a spin bike, you'd have to figure out a way to get the wheel sensor mounted correctly, and you'd have to calibrate the wheel diameter if you wanted to get speed/distance numbers that were even halfway reasonable. But with that said, spin bike workouts are never based on the numbers on a computer readout. The spin bike is simply a means to get your heart rate up, and you vary intensity and resistance levels to give you interval type workouts. The bike computer functionality won't really do anything to help you there.

About all that would really be useful would be to hook up the HRM. You could use the Advanced Workouts feature to build a workout where you spend a specific amount of time in different heart rate zones. That would have nothing to do with any speed or distance measurements from the computer.

But I suppose if you really wanted, you could buy a speed sensor and figure out a way to stick it to the spin bike. Probably with some kind of adhesive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Can you recommend a site to get tips for setting up HR based workouts on a Garmin? I haven't had mine long enough to mess with the workouts or courses

mtbr member extraordinair
    I have a spin bike I use. I dont use my garmin on it, but an old wired bike computer. I used a bit of JB weld to stick the magnet on the wheel and mounted the sensor on the chain guard. Rather simple, and works, but you have to use a computer that you can enter a custom wheel size. Like Natehawk says tho, the speed/distance is rather useless on a spin bike. I just use the hr monitor data for my spin bike workouts.

There are a ton of websites to get you started on HR based workouts. Google "zone training" and you could spend the rest of your week reading.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!