Thread: garmin 510 ?

mtbr member

garmin 510 ?

How do you set up wheel size if your not using the speed cadence sensor? I know there is a automatic setting but do you just put it on auto and ride or is there any other steps I need to take?

mtbr member
    Make sure it's set to automatic and it will automatically work. You can do manual too by measuring circumference with a roll-out. Put valve stem at the bottom, mark the floor, sit on the bike and roll it forward until the stem is on the bottom again and mark that. Measure the distance and that's the circumference. You need your weight on the bike to improve accuracy due to tire squish.

I should add, that in auto mode, when you first pair the sensor, or when you switch from one bike to another, you need to ride a fairly non tortuous path until it indicates that the calibration is complete...like 1/4 to a 1/2 mile. It's OK if it curves or there are some turns, just not tight zigs, zags, 180s etc....

mtbr member
    It is a GPS, no need for wheel size.

mtbr member
    Set it to auto and ride a flat straight line on the road if possible. I did mine that way and it is pretty accurate on all three bike...Stumpy FSR Comp 29, Bronson C, and my Domane...
    Stumpy FSR Comp 29er
    SC Bronson C

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgutz71 View Post
    Set it to auto and ride a flat straight line on the road if possible. I did mine that way and it is pretty accurate on all three bike...Stumpy FSR Comp 29, Bronson C, and my Domane...
    Yes. But if you use different bike profiles, it will recalibrate the rear wheel each time you switch between profiles.

Yes, it's a GPS, which is why Garmin has included the capability for a wheel sensor. If GPS was better than it is, a wheel sensor wouldn't be advantageous.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help i used it today and it seemed to be a little short on milage. I will have to play with it a bit i guess.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Sorry, but why would you care what the wheel size if you are not using a speed sensor?

GPS don't give a f#ck what size wheels you have, it is just measuring distance over time to give you a speed you goon.