mtbr member

Garmin 500 question

Hi im thinking about buying one of the above. I like the Virtual partner feature, but im a bit confused. Does this mean i can race against my own best time, i.e it follows what i did before ( i think its called race yourself) or can you only ride against a pre set time, it doesnt take hills etc into account.
    If it doesn't have this feature, can anyone reccomend one that does?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    the 500 and 800 have Virtual Partner. You need to set a course (what you rode before or load) and it will tell you how far ahead/behind you are.

I have the 800 and I set a course and can choose how much faster or slower I want to be.

You can also use Strava and it's segment/KOM to test/eval yourself.

the virtual partner can be a decent motivator on those long climbs where you start to wonder why you are doing it.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the comment but i still am not sure. If i do say a one hour loop, save it etc. Will my virtual partner do the loop at the same speed all the way around the loop so that it finishes at my best time, or does it follow the speed i did, i.e. Slower up hills, faster downhill?
    Are there any worthy competitors to the 500, i think i will be getting one now.
    Cheers

Virtual partner compares your current performance to the actual performance of your previous ride. The GPS records your speed/distance traveled at an interval (that you can specify/change) and Virtual partner updates at that interval.

So if your previous ride had a 1sec recording interval, Virtual Partner will compare your current to your previous at that interval. If your recording interval was "auto", then it will compare at that same variable interval.

At every interval it will show you whether you were slower or faster than your previous ride, and by how much.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    At every interval it will show you whether you were slower or faster than your previous ride, and by how much.

And if you are more than 10% slower, the screen will flash "Go Faster You Lazy $hit"
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a great tool, thanks!
    Have you had any problems with the 500?

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    And if you are more than 10% slower, the screen will flash "Go Faster You Lazy $hit"
    When I beat my previous time it played this weird little victory tone. Scared me slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbgage View Post
    Have you had any problems with the 500?
    If you're using it on winding paths in the woods get an ANT+ wheel sensor to avoid under-reporting of speed and distance.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. Ive just finished a ride, and has brought me a couple more questions. If i ride a loop that crosses and uses the path more than once, will this confuse the garmin? Also say i do 4 laps and my 3rd is the quickest ever, can i save that one lap to use in the future as my partner lap? Finally how many "courses" can i save on the garmin.
    Thanks for your help, i really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    cabbgage, yes to all of those. but you have to manually edit the course if you want to use just 1 of 4 laps to represent 1 lap. otherwise the course will be exactly the same which is 4 laps.

you can save courses till memory fills up. I have about 4-6 on mine right now. my 305 that is.
    2012 Fianceť
    2011 Spc SJ Cmp Crbn 29
    2010 Fantom Cross Outlaw
    2009 Spc RH Exprt Disc 29
    2008 Trek Fuel EX7
    2007 Spc RH

mtbr member
    Thanks, i bought a 500 a while back, great tool!