Garmin 500 connection to PC issue
I've emailed Garmin, but have had no response since my email last week. I tried phoning Garmin, but I can't get a tech on the line. I can't seem to find my issue via Googling, so I'm hoping that some of you have had this experience and know of a resolution.
When I connect my Garmin 500 to my PC, the Garmin shows up as a mass storage device (good), disappears (bad), shows up (good), disappears (bad), etc. The intervals are about 1 second and it's "phasing" in and out, in and out, and becuase of this, it isn't consistency connected to my PC and I'm not sure what to do.
It occurs on two different PCs, one Windows 7 Home the other Windows 7 Professional. I've tried different USB hubs to no avail.
I was going to suggest switching computers and USB ports, but seems you've done those things. you say you're using hubs? have you tried directly plugging into the port on the computer? It could be that. I have noticed that sometimes, hubs don't work so well with my GPS. I know that I've got one or two bad USB ports on my PC and I have to remember not to plug anything into them.
Also, what about the cord? Have you tried a different USB cord? Those will also go bad...kinks, flaky connections, that sort of thing. I've had a few of those go bad on me, too.
It could be the connection to the port on the GPS itself, too. Is your Edge in or out of warranty? If it's out of warranty, you'll have to pay for a "repair" (basically, they send you an already refurbed unit).
The only other thing, aside from NateHawks suggestions, might be to let the battery run all the way down and then recharge it and see if that resets the unit. It is most likely a bad connection somewhere, but I have seen Garmin suggest this for other strange problems.
Not using hubs, directly plugged into PCs. I'll try switching out the cords and see if that works!
Use the shortest cord you have.
Originally Posted by jkirkpatri
The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common
Issue resolved. Tried another USB cord - no luck. Thus far, tried different USB ports, different computers, and different USB cables, did a master reset of the Garmin unit, all to no avail.
Exchanged the Garmin unit itself today and all is well. Must have been a glitch somewhere in the unit, I guess.
I was thinking more like the USB port in the receiver itself might have physically had a problem (bad connection). I think a software glitch is less likely.
Originally Posted by jkirkpatri
Glad you got it resolved, though.
yeah, but after trying a couple of different USB patch cords with no resolution, I just gave up and took it back for an exchange. I lost all my data, but I've ridden for years without the data in the first place, so the loss is not too hard to swallow.
Just an update that I've had no issues with the new unit, so I've concluded that my issue was with the old unit. I'm still using the same patch cords that came with the old unit (so that the retailer could easier return the original Garmin, I just switched the unit and left the box and other contents with the retailer).
Logged about 6 rides since the unit was switched, no issues!