mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Garmin 500 bundle vs pick-a-part, what am I missing?

The bundle package on Amazon is still $100 over the base ($350 vs $250), yet while MSRP on the HRM and cadence adds up to $120, the individual parts are like $50 combined.

Is there really any reason to buy the bundle package with pricing as it currently stands? I can't imagine so, just want to make sure I'm not missing something else that comes w/ the bundled setup.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I did the same thing. I waited for the REI sale that gives you 20% off. I bought the unit during this time(cant use the 20%off on GPS), I then used my REI membership ( I have 3 for the family) to purchase the speed/cadence sensor at 20% off, the heatrate monitor at 20% off. I then went on Craigslist, and purchased anothe GSC-10 for about 20 bucks. I now have the setup on both of my bikes, and spent as little as possible.

Just one way to do it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Your are not missing anything.

I got just the 800 and used my blackburn speed/cadance for my mtb. Got the good HR monitor for $48. I got a cadence sensor for $40. I have both bikes outfitted and I can sell my old blackburn Neuro 5 to recover a little more expense.

The 800 bundle come with that map SD. I read that it doesn't have much in the way of mtb trails. OpenStreetMap maps has those trails and is free. (Well, I donated $10)
    Last edited by ziscwg; 01-31-2012 at 11:09 AM.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

sheep in FOX clothing
    I'm not gonna lie.

The bundle was the only way I could get the red one.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    I'm not gonna lie.

The bundle was the only way I could get the red one.

OH
    You bought it for the color!!!!!!

You are so banned from mtbr for a week. But, you get a complimentary membership to RoadBikeSnobs.com because all they care about it how they
    look.

Well, at least you got something for your extra $200. It's not like you paid extra just for red.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    you get a complimentary membership to RoadBikeSnobs.com
    I think my membership with be quickly revoked when they see my "road bike". I do need another cadence sensor for it, though.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Funny seeing this thread
    I'm in canada and just las week bought an edge 500 plus premium hrm plus gsc10 from a major Canadian online retailer gpscity.ca
    It was cheaper to buy the 3 separate items than the bundle. And the bundle come with the nonpremium hrm. I thought i was confused but nope I even confirmed with sales rep at time of purchase
    Guess it pays to look closely at purchasing options!

Jacob 34:19

Color matters

I bought the individual components because at the time, the bundle only came in blue and I wanted the carbon colored unit. Actually, it was a bit cheaper as well

A little tip: When your HRM strap goes out, I'd suggest looking at the Polar. My Garmin HRM strap lasted less than a year (transmitter works fine but the strap no longer picks up my HR). Garmin wanted $36 for a replacement strap so I tried the WearLink strap from my Polar. It works great and Amazon sells them for $14! To make it sweeter, I ordered two and on check out, they offered me a $30 credit for signing up for their credit card. Two replacement straps, free shipping, and it didn't cost me a dime.
    I buy stuff from Milltown Cycles.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

So today a sales rep and my local store told me to get the 800 bundle because the updated mapping was on it??? and if you just purchased the unit and then pieced it together I would have to but an update for 100 or so $$$ can anyone confirm this?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrth View Post
    So today a sales rep and my local store told me to get the 800 bundle because the updated mapping was on it??? and if you just purchased the unit and then pieced it together I would have to but an update for 100 or so $$$ can anyone confirm this?

You don't need that map software really. All the OSM maps work fine if not better than the Garmin ones. Updates $100??? The map pack alone cost $80 if you buy it on the website.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ziscwg,

Thanks for the reply! Do you by chance have the 800? So I have a great oppertunity to buy one for a great price. It does not come with the cadence or the heart monitor but was going to buy those separate. My real concern was the mapping. What does the map pack get you??? and does the 800 give you the feature to travel and stay off highways? again I have only viewed them in stores so I was looking for some first hand advice to see if it was work it for me?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrth View Post
    Ziscwg,

Thanks for the reply! Do you by chance have the 800? So I have a great oppertunity to buy one for a great price. It does not come with the cadence or the heart monitor but was going to buy those separate. My real concern was the mapping. What does the map pack get you??? and does the 800 give you the feature to travel and stay off highways? again I have only viewed them in stores so I was looking for some first hand advice to see if it was work it for me?

Thanks
    I have the 800 and love it. You can buy the cadence/speed sensor separate. I don't like the garmin one. Any ANT+ sensor will work. The same goes for the HR monitor.

The map pack gets you good road bike help, but I had a hard time finding any local trails besides MUT paved ones.

I'd say forget the map pack. Get the OSM maps for your area. You need the long and lat for your area which is easy to find with Google earth. You'll also need a micro SD card.

If you go on to Ridewithgps.com and create an mtb route with their OSM maps, you won't get lost out there.