mtbr member

Garmin 500 ate my ride

My Garmin 500 just lost my latest ride. That ride was of course my longest with the most climbing I have done in more than a year. It didn't upload using either strava or Training Center. In the Garmin's Activities directory the ride existed as a .fit file but was just 72 bytes. Gone forever.

Since this is now the second time this has happened in about a year and about 80-100 rides this issue now has my attention. Aside from getting a new computer what might be the best strategy to avoid this again? I think I will clear out all activities very frequently. That can't hurt. How about resetting before doing a USB upload? Any other ideas or superstitions? My Garmin has the latest software and otherwise works fine.

sheep in FOX clothing
    I admit to using my phone GPS as backup to my 500 on significant rides.

But in 2 years, I've only ever had to use it because I forgot to press start, so I have no real suggestions.

Maybe run a memory scan of the 500 from windows to see if there are any errors?

biggest cause of any Edge losing rides is that your activity log is full of other rides. I advocate to everyone to keep a backup on their computer. I keep no more than half a dozen activities on my Forerunner at any one time.

sheep in FOX clothing
    I assumed he was doing that already because strava gets so painfully slow when I don't, but good suggestion.

mtbr member
    Actually, I did have maybe 90 activities on the device. I am so used not to worry about space -- my kindle holds hundreds of books, iPhone thousands of songs, etc -- that I wasn't thinking about filling up the Garmin's memory. A memory warning would be swell, wouldn't it, Garmin...? Anyway, I plan to mend my ways and clear the device after every 2-3 rides. It would be elegant if strava or Training Center had a setting that would do that after a successful download without further user intervention. Similar to picture download from a camera.
    Using phone as a backup seems like a good idea too if I figure out how to avoid duplicates.
    Thanks all!

any ability for the site you use to upload to clear your activities would be on Garmin, since everyone uses Garmin's plugin for that anyway.

It would be convenient, but what I see is that too many people plug the device in and do their auto uploads all while ignoring other important aspects of using their device. Namely downloading manually onto the computer using Training Center or some other program. People expect websites to do everything nowadays, which they clearly don't do. furthermore, it's a simple option on the GPS device itself to clear the activity log.

the reason Garmin doesn't publish hard guidelines about it is because there is no concrete rule about when it will cause problems. Like you said, you've got about 90 activities on your device. For some, it might cause problems at fewer than half that many activities. There are a lot of variables. With a device like the Edge 500 where you're not using memory for maps, there might be fewer than on something like the Edge 800 where everybody has a different amount of memory occupied by maps that adds to the complexity of the issue.

This has also been an issue since the very first Edge/Forerunner models. It's pretty well documented across the web that you need to periodically clear your activity log to minimize glitches like lost activities.

As to why it becomes a problem, I don't think these things were ever intended to have much of a limit. But they do. It seems to be a limitation of the processor and not the memory on the device. And be careful about comparing e-readers and other handhelds. I've run into limits with them, too.

For example, on my wife's nook color, we have a number of books that are compliations of many books. Some all from the same author, and others from different authors writing about a similar topic or genre. Either way, these things are thousands of pages long. They crash my wife's nook. The same thing happens when trying to load them with the nook app on my ipod touch. For that matter, regular apps like FB and Tapatalk have been increasingly crashing my ipod touch lately, too. I think app developers are developing for the newer devices on the newer OS versions and failing to make them streamlined enough for older devices, too. My point being that it's not just an issue with Garmin.