Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "Its All Good"

Garmin 305 & Garmin 60 CSx

A few questions to the team whom know.

I am wanting to get a GPS, have done for sometime now for my mtb riding. I seem odd, I am not interested in speed, cadence etc. Track this on my roadie riding, but not mtb.

So basically I would like to be able to track my rides and the trails I ride to download to my laptop etc.

I also really want to put the unit in my Camalbak, dont need it to be attached to the bars. Still wish to keep the weight down to a minimum if I can...

Your thoughts would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers
    Whafe
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    hey Fenton!

As you know I have the 60CSx and I just leave it in the "mesh" on my Camelbak... I haven't tried putting it "completely inside" but in the mesh it is safe enough and reception is excellent.

The 305 is really small and light but you have to remember to charge it or rig an external battery pack for longer trip without energy. Also it has no maps or nice color screen

I think you should also consider the new Vista HCx series.... it seems to be the best of both words... I used to have a Legend C (same casing as a Vista) and I loved the size and the AA battery use, but reception wasn't that good, therefore I went for the 60 CSx with the Sirf chip. The new HCx seems to have closed the reception gap (exact chip is still unknown AFAIK, but says it is much improved)

I prefer the 60 or Vista series to the Edge because of the ability to load maps (also useful when in an unknown city since I know you travel a lot )
    Last edited by crisillo; 06-14-2007 at 07:55 AM.

"Its All Good"
    Hola Cris

Thanks for your reply like normal.... The new Vista series looks good.

Need to make a comparison with the 60 CSx vrs the Vista.. The Vista is slightly smaller.

Geoman - What are your thoughts on the new Vista series. I am going to make a decision then will purchase from your site. Which is great too.

Cheers
    Fenton
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

no prob

the new Vista HCx seems to have most (if not all) the features that one could want from the 60 series in a smaller package.... the thing is that there is very little info out there so far...

maybe geoman has some "insider info"

"Its All Good"
    Hope Geoman does, want to get one while I am here in the US of A.............Did somemore research on the Garmin site, the Vista looks the ducks nuts....

Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Hope Geoman does, want to get one while I am here in the US of A.............Did somemore research on the Garmin site, the Vista looks the ducks nuts....
    ah.. then go for the 60 now.. the HCx won't be available until fall.... the only "disadvantage" is the 60's size.... but controls are a bit easier to use (more bottons, less function overload to the buttons)... get the 60CSx now and be very happy

Grizzly
    The Edge 305 is excellent for recording data, and analyzing it after the ride, but it is not really a navigation tool. I love the Edge and have no plans to ditch it, but like you I am in the market for a nice mapping hand held. If the new Vista has reception anywhere as good as the Edge I will be all over it. I just wish more details were available, and the unit was out already!
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

The 60 is larger, has more buttons, and has a larger screen than the etrex lineup. It also has an external antenna port, both serial AND usb ports, and different software.

GeoMan
    Sorry I missed this thread. The ETA on the HCx is late July at best... So, your choice is the 60CSx (not a bad option!), IMHO.

BTW, we're shipping a 60CSx via overnight to Whafe today. I think he'll love it! I love mine! Here's my max-explorer setup...

Enjoy!

THANKS Whafe! Hope you enjoy your stay in the ol' US of A (come up to Santa Fe)!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

cool GeoMan... glad to know you hooked Whafe up! I am sure he will love the 60CSx

"Its All Good"
    Thanks Cris & thanks Geoman, no pun, but you are the man...

Team, called up Geoman, spoke re GPS's etc and boom, one is on its way to me in Sedona at the B&B I am staying at.

I am happy to go with the 60CSx, the new Vista is not available till the fall (USA seasons). The Vista looks slightly smaller, less buttons, but with no external antenna, the reception may not be as good as the 60CSx....

Anyways, I am happier than a pig in shiat..... Love really helpful people, friendly and spanking good service....

All good
    Cheers
    Whafe

"Its All Good"
    Geoman, the unit arrived today, great stuff. HUGELY appreciate this.

Have set it up etc, will use it in the morning.... I cant believe how light it is, I expected it to be heavier, very cool..

Going to enjoy this toy..

Thanks again...

GeoMan
    That's what we like to hear!

Thank you!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Geoman, the unit arrived today, great stuff. HUGELY appreciate this.

Have set it up etc, will use it in the morning.... I cant believe how light it is, I expected it to be heavier, very cool..

Going to enjoy this toy..

Thanks again...
    sweet!

you'll have a lot of fun

Muskoka
    I have the 60cx and use it for tracking rides, canoe tripping, and road trips.
    I have the Topo Canada maps software & also CityNavigator North America. Works great. I fits nicely into one of those small under-the-seat pouches for mtb rides.

Slow climbin' clyde
    Oct 2006
    Good choice, Whafe. You're going to love that thing. The dash mount and lighter adaptor (as in BlackCanoeDog's post above) are must-haves, plus routing maps. I hardly ever leave the house without my 60CSx anymore. My wife correspondingly makes fun of me incessantly. 'Course, there may well be something to that, but I've not gotten lost in a while.

Muskoka
    Much,much better than having the wife play navigator :-D

Slow climbin' clyde
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog
    Much,much better than having the wife play navigator :-D
    Yeah, good luck trying to argue that point with her, though.

"Its All Good"
    Yep, I used it today, worked a treat. I changed the setting to get a plot point more often. Have down loaded the saved file to the program on the laptop. All good. Cool to view it and save it...

I have a Tom Tom for the car, which is real useful. No argueing for directions. But this wil be sweet too, way lighter and easier to carry than the tomtom....

Was stoked to order and get it the next day, I am terrible at waiting..... I learnt the art of waiting, especially waiting for a Nicolai for 7 months (LOL) that learns you.... SO again Geoman, you true champ...

not so super...
    BCD - slighty off topic but what is that road sign???
    Nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA

come on, SS... that's a "bike riding deer on the road" sign... obviously

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    WOW! they have some talented deer in Canada.
    Nothing to see here.

trail rat
    "And" must be implied? Bike and deer crossing is my guess, but the bike riding deer crossing is interesting!
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Go here to find out ;-D
    Buckwallow Cycling Centre (pics)

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    That's pretty funny. And actually looks like it. I'm assuming it's a sign to show one to be careful for deer AND bikers. Should have separated it though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast