mtbr member
    May 2013

Garmin 200 Trail map Question

Hello,

I've been looking into cheap GPS devices for mountain biking and the Garmin Edge 200 looks good to me. A feature I really need the GPS to have is basic directions. I don't need maps at all. I have .gpx files of the trails I want to ride. I want to know if the 200 displays trails accurately so I can quickly glance at the GPS while I'm on the bike and know where to go. I know the GPS displays trails but does it show my progress? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I am not sure that it would really get you what you're after. Why not just buy an eTrex 10 or 20? It'll be cheaper, the 20 can display basemaps, and you'll have a more useful screen size for viewing that kind of information.

But if you're primarily interested in wayfinding, you actually do want maps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Re: Garmin 200 Trail map Question

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I am not sure that it would really get you what you're after. Why not just buy an eTrex 10 or 20? It'll be cheaper, the 20 can display basemaps, and you'll have a more useful screen size for viewing that kind of information.

Are you kidding? The Garmin 200 gives him exactly what he's looking for. You can download courses and it will tell you if you're on/off course.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Another reason I was looking into the Garmin line was because of the compatibility with Strava, which I was interested in. I'll look into the eTrexs though.

Quote Originally Posted by melster View Post
    Are you kidding? The Garmin 200 gives him exactly what he's looking for. You can download courses and it will tell you if you're on/off course.
    The edge 200 is terrible for mountain biking owing to its sampling rate. Its accuracy sucks on twisty trails for it. It will follow a saved track but the screen is small for providing a quick visual reference. Plus, it is more expensive than the etrex 10, which can be found for less than $100. The etrex 20 is a bit more but offers basemap capability which really is worth it for navigating. With topos, hills, streams, and other features can be used as additional visual references, which is invaluable on the trail.

ALL of the etrex models can have their sampling rates adjusted (up to 1 sec intervals) to more accurately record mtb trails.

in my very strong opinion, the etrex line is far better for someone looking for a basic GPS for mt biking.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The edge 200 is terrible for mountain biking owing to its sampling rate. Its accuracy sucks on twisty trails for it. It will follow a saved track but the screen is small for providing a quick visual reference. Plus, it is more expensive than the etrex 10, which can be found for less than $100. The etrex 20 is a bit more but offers basemap capability which really is worth it for navigating. With topos, hills, streams, and other features can be used as additional visual references, which is invaluable on the trail.

ALL of the etrex models can have their sampling rates adjusted (up to 1 sec intervals) to more accurately record mtb trails.

in my very strong opinion, the etrex line is far better for someone looking for a basic GPS for mt biking.
    That definitely sounds better, but is there any Strava compatibility with the eTrex line?

Quote Originally Posted by skateboard34 View Post
    That definitely sounds better, but is there any Strava compatibility with the eTrex line?
    every GPS will work with Strava. just download the .gpx/.tcx/.fit file to your computer and do a manual upload. You should be storing your data on your computer, anyway, in case you decide to switch services in the future and wish to transfer your data from one to the other. Those of us who endured the transfer of Motionbased data to Garmin Connect learned that one the hard way.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    every GPS will work with Strava. just download the .gpx/.tcx/.fit file to your computer and do a manual upload. You should be storing your data on your computer, anyway, in case you decide to switch services in the future and wish to transfer your data from one to the other. Those of us who endured the transfer of Motionbased data to Garmin Connect learned that one the hard way.
    That's great. This is a small priority for me but can eTrex track the speed I travel on some routes? This would help me personally and also for leaderboards on Strava(which is a small priority to me)

Yeah, it will provide you with a customizable trip computer

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I am most likely getting an eTrex now but I have one question. How can Strava know my time on certain segments when I am just uploading a .gpx file? Does it know the coordinates of the start and end of the segment? I am just curious. Thanks.

Yes, it knows the locations of the start and end of each segment. Sometimes it actually does a crappy job matching segments, missing segments you rode or assigning you to a segment you only rode part of or rode in a different direction or whatever.

It's not perfect