mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Gaia GPS app for iPhone

Anyone use this and recommend it? Don't have money to buy a unit an figure I could turn off 3G on my iphone 4 and just rely on this app after I download regions ill be in.

Any tips of sustained battery life? I do plan on buying a goal zero in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I am one of the Gaia GPS devs.

Allow me to save you the cost of the app too... send an email to support@gaiagps.com, and we'll send you a code to download it for free.

Remember to also take a paper map with you if you don't know the area! It's pretty easy to run out of batteries, lose, or break an iPhone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Gaia GPS app for iPhone

Email sent. Can't wait to try it!

There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Anyone use this and recommend it? Don't have money to buy a unit an figure I could turn off 3G on my iphone 4 and just rely on this app after I download regions ill be in.

Any tips of sustained battery life? I do plan on buying a goal zero in the future.

I know a guy who uses it on backcountry hikes. He is happy with its performance. He uses it on an Android and carries a spare battery.

Are you talking about one of the solar chargers, or just an auxiliary battery you can use to charge the phone? The solar chargers rarely work as well as advertised, and require extended views of clear sky to charge a battery in full. If you let it charge for days, limiting your use of the device to allow the onboard battery to last that long, they'd be okay. But if you had the phone on the whole time, draining the battery in a day or less, you could never keep it topped up.

There's a lot of variability in phone batteries. A lot of that variability will depend on how old it is and how many times it's been charged. You will have to run your own tests to find out how long YOUR phone will last.