saddlemeat

Freezing Vista HCx

What's with my Vista HCx freezing up all the time? Am I missing something in the setup or is this a bad unit? Hope it's not a feature.

Any light?

Scott in Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb
    What's with my Vista HCx freezing up all the time? Am I missing something in the setup or is this a bad unit? Hope it's not a feature.

Any light?
    I'd try updating the firmware to the latest. If still experiencing trouble, try a "hard reset" (will lose all data on unit, so download first):

With the unit turned off, press and hold the follow buttons: PAGE + Enter on the click stick. Then press and release the POWER. The unit will power up asking if you want to release all user data. Select yes, and the unit will be reset. After the master reset, place your unit outside, so that it has a clear view of the sky for 25 to 30 minutes for the unit to acquire new almanac data.

(from http://gpsinformation.us/vistacolor/...istacolor.html)
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by Krein
    I'd try updating the firmware to the latest. If still experiencing trouble, try a "hard reset" (will lose all data on unit, so download first):

With the unit turned off, press and hold the follow buttons: PAGE + Enter on the click stick. Then press and release the POWER. The unit will power up asking if you want to release all user data. Select yes, and the unit will be reset. After the master reset, place your unit outside, so that it has a clear view of the sky for 25 to 30 minutes for the unit to acquire new almanac data.

(from http://gpsinformation.us/vistacolor/...stacolor.html)
    Thanks, I'll try that... wow, that's not an easy button maneuver to perform... wtf... aghh... okay, I got it.

(Thought you had me going there for a while, but the link seemed legit. )

Time will tell.

mtbr member
    Does it freeze (ie, screen stops changing, no input) or turn off?

Either way, I mountain bike with mine all the time and it does neither.

Motionbased on the other hand, seems to not be accepting my uploads today.

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by jmilliron
    Does it freeze (ie, screen stops changing, no input) or turn off?
    The screen stops changing and button input does nothing. When turned off it lags a bit before shutting off.

The hard reset may have done the trick for me. The only freeze I had was after setting idle in camp for a few hours.

I have been using usgs topo map images in the gps, (see MOAGU thread) wondered if that could be causing the freezing.