Formerly PaintPeelinPbody

Free Raster For Garmins

I'm struggling to get rasters onto my new Etrex 20.

My first attempt at downloading a bunch of .img files from gpsfiledepot didn't seem to work. When installed as .img files on the SD card, the GPS can read the files in map settings, but doesn't appear to be displaying anything.

I really like the OpenStreetMap ability to just select the tires you want, download just the tiles, unpack the .img gmapsupp to the SD card, and I wish there was something similar for aerials.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

I find it easier to work through Mapsource or Basecamp for the vector .img files. I've heard of reliability issues with trying to do everything outside of Garmin's software. It's always gone off without a hitch for me using Mapsource (my preferred method).

As for raster images, there are a lot of ways to do it. Some are easier than others. Basically, you need a .kmz with a limited extent, and it needs to be broken into tiles (1000x1000, IIRC). Also, any vector overlays need to be rasterized. The process to do it all manually is more complicated than it's worth.

This site covers a lot of different options for getting this process done.

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Custom+Maps

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Nate, is GPSFileDepot the only place to get aerials from the last couple of years? The most recent I found for PA was 2009.

EDIT: General consensus seems to be that Birdseye is worth the subscription if you need aerial imagery as all other options are either outdated or difficult to make work effectively on the Garmin GPS.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain