Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    one chain loop
    Reputation: fishcreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,284

    Good job! Free Canada Topo!

    This is the best Canada Topo I used so far, and its free!

    Ibycus Topo

    Beats the $100+ Topo CD's in the market, I don't mind donating to the developer.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

  2. #2
    Scott in Tucson
    Reputation: Krein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,318
    This is really great to see such high quality basemaps becoming available.

    Garmin's Mapsource 2008 DVD was a major improvement over the original Mapsource, but there seem to be a few independent folks out there that are blowing them out of the water.

    I noticed there's a full 40' contour set for Arizona:

    http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/1/

    In addition to the other states available here:

    http://www.miscjunk.org/mj/mp_main.html

    On the AZ one I have noticed a few roads that are not in the right spot (only in southern AZ so far). Hopefully it's something the dev's can fix.

    I'll gladly cough up some money to support these guys. I've already found the 2008 DVD maps quite useful in "the field" (i.e. exploratory overnighters). Can't wait to get out there with even more detailed basemaps on the GPS.

    Anyway, didn't mean to get too OT. Thanks for the notice about the CAN maps. Looks great.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

  3. #3
    Hack Racer
    Reputation: Cheers!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,554
    cool. I'm downloading them right now. 1+ gig files. Wow. Some serious webhosting was involved to serve up 1+ gig of files with high traffic.

  4. #4
    g3h6o3
    Reputation: PissedOffCil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,694
    Great find, I'll give them a try!
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

  5. #5
    g3h6o3
    Reputation: PissedOffCil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,694
    I'm trying to download it with it'S "updater" and it keeps on crashing. He doesn'T restart downloading from the start though but am I the only one to experience this? Could this be a Vista issue?

    Edit: For Vista users, run the update program in XP SP2 compatibility mode and it stops crashing!
    Last edited by PissedOffCil; 05-04-2008 at 07:28 AM.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

  6. #6
    Hack Racer
    Reputation: Cheers!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,554
    I downloaded the two huge gig + files from the site. I installed the mac version and Garmin's Map-Install picked up the file that gets compressed. I installed this file and was able to select regions to populate to my Edge 705. Pretty cool. Now I just gotta figure out how to navigate with all this data. (My first GPS).

  7. #7
    g3h6o3
    Reputation: PissedOffCil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,694
    Yeah i finished downloading it and even though I don't have my 705 yet I was able to see the maps in the software. I prefer them to the Garmin's topo as they are easier to read. They seem straight down accurate too.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

  8. #8
    Hack Racer
    Reputation: Cheers!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,554
    Are you guys able to get the topograhpy elevation lines to display on the edge 705 unit? the elevation rings/lines show up in Mapsource and also show up in Training Center but won't show up on the edge 705 unit.

    Also has anyone noticed that Ibycus Topo 1.34 is not compatible with Training Center 3.4.1?

    edit: if you want the topo lines to show up. You have to make sure Ibycus Topo 1.34 is the only map it displays. I had the North American City Navigator slected as well. When that happens the two maps are superimposed over each other and the topolines show disappear.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil
    I'm trying to download it with it'S "updater" and it keeps on crashing. He doesn'T restart downloading from the start though but am I the only one to experience this? Could this be a Vista issue?

    Edit: For Vista users, run the update program in XP SP2 compatibility mode and it stops crashing!
    Hmmmm. I'm not running Vista, so its hard for me to test thist. What kind of error are you getting on the crash? Or does it just stop responding?

    If it just stops responding, it might be a 'patience' issue. The routines I'm using to download files lock the program during the download, so it may look hung, but not really *be* hung.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers!
    Also has anyone noticed that Ibycus Topo 1.34 is not compatible with Training Center 3.4.1?
    Were older versions compatible with this version of training center? I'm trying to trace this problem down right now. The more information I can get, the better.


    edit: if you want the topo lines to show up. You have to make sure Ibycus Topo 1.34 is the only map it displays. I had the North American City Navigator slected as well. When that happens the two maps are superimposed over each other and the topolines show disappear.
    Yep... that'd do it. As neither mapset is transparent, in areas where both are loaded, the one will take precendence over the other. This is actually a good thing, as the common elements (roads etc) aren't identical between the mapsets... if you displayed both, it would look really messy. I'm considering generating a 'topo only' mapset that would be transparent so you could overlay it with the Garmin mapsets. If there is enough demand I will, otherwise there are other things I can work on (current projects are filling in the 'holes' in the dataset, as well as trying to generate contours for my US maps)

  11. #11
    Hack Racer
    Reputation: Cheers!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,554
    ibycus,

    Good to see you here on this forum.
    When I first used TopoMaps122.exe it worked fine with Garmin Training Center 3.4.1. I didn't notice the "MapUpdate.exe" link the first time I stopped at your site and used the 122 version. I have since then updated your topo maps using MapUpdate.exe and Garmin Training Center 3.4.1 doesn't like it.

    With your latest version of maps it works fine with Garmin Training Center 3.3.4 but not 3.4.1...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4
    Hmmmmm.... very strange... I'm going to have to work on this one... From what I've read its a problem with the TDB file (if that doesn't mean anything to you, don't worry about it), but AFAIK, the TDB was generated the same way with 1.22 as with 1.34...

  13. #13
    Hack Racer
    Reputation: Cheers!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,554
    perhaps garmin's training center 3.4.1 references or looks for things a different way than the previous versions?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers!
    perhaps garmin's training center 3.4.1 references or looks for things a different way than the previous versions?
    That wouldn't really explain why 1.22 worked and 1.34 didn't though....

  15. #15
    g3h6o3
    Reputation: PissedOffCil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,694
    Quote Originally Posted by ibycus
    Hmmmm. I'm not running Vista, so its hard for me to test thist. What kind of error are you getting on the crash? Or does it just stop responding?

    If it just stops responding, it might be a 'patience' issue. The routines I'm using to download files lock the program during the download, so it may look hung, but not really *be* hung.
    No it's really hung and I get no crash log but as I said running it in XP SP2 compatibility mode fixes the problem.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers!
    I downloaded the two huge gig + files from the site. I installed the mac version and Garmin's Map-Install picked up the file that gets compressed. I installed this file and was able to select regions to populate to my Edge 705. Pretty cool. Now I just gotta figure out how to navigate with all this data. (My first GPS).
    I downloaded the topo file and have no idea how to load it to my 705 or Training Centre. From what I've read from some of your other posts, it looks like I need Mapsource but I haven't bought any Garmin map data yet and it doesn't look like Garmin lets you download it for free. Any other way to get this info onto my 705? Can I just copy it to one of the folders on the 705? User manual isn't much help.

    Sorry if this is a dumb question - I'm new to this and I'm not finding it intuitive in the least nor have I found a single good source of info.

    Thanks for any help.

  17. #17
    Hack Racer
    Reputation: Cheers!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,554

  18. #18
    Hack Racer
    Reputation: Cheers!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers!
    ibycus,

    Good to see you here on this forum.
    When I first used TopoMaps122.exe it worked fine with Garmin Training Center 3.4.1. I didn't notice the "MapUpdate.exe" link the first time I stopped at your site and used the 122 version. I have since then updated your topo maps using MapUpdate.exe and Garmin Training Center 3.4.1 doesn't like it.

    With your latest version of maps it works fine with Garmin Training Center 3.3.4 but not 3.4.1...
    Anyone else notice the same thing happens for Training Center 3.4.3?

  19. #19
    g3h6o3
    Reputation: PissedOffCil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers!
    Anyone else notice the same thing happens for Training Center 3.4.3?
    Yes!
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

  20. #20
    FRP
    FRP is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7
    Yes - I am having the same problem. To use Ibycus with TC, I have to remove 3.4.3 and go back to an older version of TC.

    So far, Garmin support can't explain why.

  21. #21
    FRP
    FRP is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7
    hmm - I should add that my experience has been that the change is with Training Center and not Ibycus. TC 3.4.3 will not work with Ibycus 1.22

  22. #22
    Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Reputation: bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,174
    There's a colorado mapset "out there" that has the same problem with TC. Could be one of the map compiler tools, or the option going into it.

    The AZ set that was put together is fine though.

  23. #23
    Hack Racer
    Reputation: Cheers!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,554
    Quote Originally Posted by FRP
    hmm - I should add that my experience has been that the change is with Training Center and not Ibycus. TC 3.4.3 will not work with Ibycus 1.22
    Yes I have observed this too. My new problem is I can't fully uninstall 3.4.3, I went to add/remove programs in XP. Deleted all the entires in teh registry editor. Then I installed 3.3.4 which then gives me a database error.

    But if I reinstalled 3.4.3 to try to delete my history and profile I can't because it can't open Ibycus topo maps. So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'm on the phone on hold with Garmin tech support to inquire about how to completely remove training center from my PC. I have the workouts backed up prior to this fiasco.

    The reason why I think training center won't work with the Ibycus is garmin changed their way they draw maps. If you read the change log before downloading the training center app it says... "Added new rendering technology for map drawing" for version 3.4.1 and beyond.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •