Thread: Forerunners?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Forerunners?

Anyone use the Forerunner, like the 910? I do some running, not just cycling, so I am looking for a different model than the Edge.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I use the 310XT. It's great for running and biking. I also use it indoors regularly as an HRM for stuff like P90X.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Don't have a forerunner, but I've been using the ForeTrex series for years (currently the 301, but had a 101 before that). Very inexpensive. Good for distance, speed, tracks and waypoints (no maps or HR). I use it on the bike, running, XC skiing, hiking.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I use a Forerunner 305 and like it. With it set to 1 second logging, it seems more accurate than my Edge 500. It's nice not having to worry about what bike it's mounted on.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Yup. I have the ForeRunner 610. It's a less crazy-huge option than the 310 and 910, if you don't need power meter compatibility. Still supports the speed/cadence sensor. The 410 is cheaper and also supports the speed/cadence sensor, but I found the 405 a bit weird to use and it was larger and clunkier than the 610.

I like that I don't have to look at my watch - it doesn't occupy a piece of my visual field like a cycling computer. I have the bar mount, so if I want to do a more structured workout, I can use it. The bar mount is very straightforward and doesn't require changing the strap - it's just a rubber thing that goes on over the handlebar and is a better shape to strap the watch onto.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    the 610--does the watch or software allow for mutliple sports? Cycling, running, nordic skiing, etc?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Yeah. The watch has explicit modes for running and cycling. They have different sets of screens, and the screens are programmable. So one could easily use them for other sports, although I think the speed/cadence sensor only works in cycling mode. You also get to set up the displays with quite a lot of flexibility. There's a detailed list on Garmin's site; I've really only scratched the surface myself since so far, I've pretty much just wanted the more common displays, that are already set up by default.

If you use Advanced Workouts - a big selling point for me - the workouts are either running workouts or cycling workouts and switch the watch to the named mode.

Garmin Connect has a big list of sports, so after you recorded an activity, you could tell Garmin Connect it was something else and it would switch on the web site.

If I were to use the watch for Nordic skiing, I'd probably use it in running mode, and then tell Garmin Connect it was actually Nordic skiing after uploading it.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Perfect. Thanks for the info. There is no way to know the feaures by looking at the Garmin Web site. Mostly it would be cycling and running but I do track the HR for ice hockey and other sports. Does it track speed and distance? I assume yes but the on line specs don't indicate.

Ha ha I do a lot of sports but am master of none of them!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I got the 910 XT. I am still learning to use it, not bad, it could be easier. Thanks for the advices.

I just ordered a 310XT as an upgrade to my Forerunner 205. I wanted the training functions of my 205, and wanted to add HRM and foot pod support for treadmill workouts. But I don't swim, so the extra swimming functions of the 910 are lost on me.

I also found that there is a 1/4 turn quick release adapter for it, which I ordered on Amazon. You might want to look into one for the 910XT. It makes the receiver compatible with the same mounts the Edge 500, 510, 800, and 810 use.

I got a refurb on Amazon and spent less than $200 on the watch and the adapter/mount. I did not get a HRM strap or foot pod for it yet. Probably next season.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I just ordered a 310XT as an upgrade to my Forerunner 205. I wanted the training functions of my 205, and wanted to add HRM and foot pod support for treadmill workouts. But I don't swim, so the extra swimming functions of the 910 are lost on me.

I also found that there is a 1/4 turn quick release adapter for it, which I ordered on Amazon. You might want to look into one for the 910XT. It makes the receiver compatible with the same mounts the Edge 500, 510, 800, and 810 use.

I got a refurb on Amazon and spent less than $200 on the watch and the adapter/mount. I did not get a HRM strap or foot pod for it yet. Probably next season.
    Can you let us know how your refurbished one is? I was looking at some that stated "refurbished by Garmin", and am curious about how it comes. Is there a Garmin warranty? Are the regular manuals included? Thanks Nate!