mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Forerunner 205 Bike mount

I only use my forerunner 205 for riding. I have a road bike and a MTB i'm looking to mount it to.

Garmin sells a kit to do this for 1 bike for $25 https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8544

They also sell a replacement kit for $7 https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8622

From the looks of it, i can get away with buying 2 of the replacement kits, but i want to check to see if this would work before doing it.

Additionally, has anyone used these mounts on a 31.8 mm bar? the specs say they are limited to less than 1 inch.

mtbr member
    I use this for my 305 FR. Works for me, no more difficult than taking it off of your wrist.
    http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-110.../dp/B000VK5BMQ

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    perfect. That exactly what i was looking for.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Becareful w/ this mount. I just lost my FR305 in June during an hour practice ride in a not very rocky trail. I don't know how it could fall off but it did. The first loop was fine. Refill my botter, check the FR305, going out for another loop, check it a few time during the ride. Got back to the car, check it again, Boommm, Gone. Never found it. So if i was you, make sure you have secondary safety linyard or something. Good luck

mtbr member
    Just use a piece of foam pipe insulation. You can take it off with the unit and move it from bike to bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee
    Just use a piece of foam pipe insulation. You can take it off with the unit and move it from bike to bike.
    +1
    I should've kept using that foam. It works so well. I don't know why i change my mind. Stupid impulse buy i guess. So to the OP... I wouldn't waste my $ buying the adaptor.

keepin' it rural

how does it work?

on that second mount ( the one that looks like a rubber piece that goes around the bar) does the Garmin snap into that or do you wrap the unit around it using the strap as addes protection, i would think that would be ideal.

mtbr member
    It straps on just like to your wrist. So if the bandbuckle/tab comes undone it will be gone. I'm still pondering where to put a lanyard on it as backup security.

Ninja Master Powers
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch
    I use this for my 305 FR. Works for me, no more difficult than taking it off of your wrist.
    http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-110.../dp/B000VK5BMQ
    That's what I use too, it works very well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I wrapped an old tube around my handlebars a few times and secured it with two zip ties. Now I put my forerunner 305 on the tube just like I'm putting it on my wrist.
    2009 Diamondback Overdrive

Ninja Master Powers
    Quote Originally Posted by snellvilleGAbiker
    Becareful w/ this mount. I just lost my FR305 in June during an hour practice ride in a not very rocky trail. I don't know how it could fall off but it did. The first loop was fine. Refill my botter, check the FR305, going out for another loop, check it a few time during the ride. Got back to the car, check it again, Boommm, Gone. Never found it. So if i was you, make sure you have secondary safety linyard or something. Good luck

Just remove the plastic band and replace it with a Velcro watch band.

This eliminates the buckle, so it can't break and if one of the pins breaks or otherwise comes loose the the 205 will still be held in place on the mount by the band and the remaining pin.

The Velcro won't come loose but will need to be replaced no and again...