mtbr member

Following a course on your Garmin 500?

I am having an issue following an uploaded course on my GPS - the manual shows a screen I should be able to access with distance to next turn, which direction to turn, etc. I can't seem to find this..anyone know how to follow an uploaded course?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I have never seen that screen

If the edge 500 works like my 200 does its not really capable of following a course. The course functionality is only good for virtual partner ie showing you where you stand in relation to recorded time. It does not allow you to zoom in on the course close enough that you would be able to use it for navigation.

I don't think it has any way of knowing when a turn is coming since it has no map to reference. The course is just a squiggly line and you can see if you get off the line. A curve in the trail and a turn look exactly the same. The 200 and 500 were desinged to make using them for any type of navigation difficult so they do not compete with the more powerful mapping units.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    I am having an issue following an uploaded course on my GPS - the manual shows a screen I should be able to access with distance to next turn, which direction to turn, etc. I can't seem to find this..anyone know how to follow an uploaded course?
    That is what you see when you follow a route

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I use the course feature on mine quite often. It doesnt tell you exactly where to turn, but I assume that it assumes that you will know what road it is within the distance given (e.g 200 ft).

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by nov0798 View Post
    I use the course feature on mine quite often. It doesnt tell you exactly where to turn, but I assume that it assumes that you will know what road it is within the distance given (e.g 200 ft).

Yep. The 500 can give turn-by-turn directions.

If you use a site like bikeroutetoaster to compile the cue sheet, it will even give road names for all the turns, although I've never attempted that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    How do you get from file to this screen?