mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Flashing Cadence Symbol on Edge 305

hello, I've recently noticed that my cadence symbol has an "X" flashing through it. Cadence is registering and the numbers look right, so I feel that the Edge is linked to the cadence sensor, but I cannot get the flashing "x" to go away. I'm talking about the cadence symbol that shows up at the top of the Edge's screen, right beside the heart symbol.

I'm running 3.2 and so I tried going backward on the firmware. Went all the way to 3.00 and still have the flashing cadence symbol. I also have performed a master reset.

Anybody else experience this? What are my options to resolve it?

Thanks,
    Steig

mtbr member
    You may experience that when the signal keeps disappearing. Are you watching average or actual cadence on the Edge? Maybe the battery is low.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I just replaced the cadence sensor with a new battery and the results are the same, so the battery isn't the problem. I'm watching actual cadence on the edge and it has always reported it acurately, so that isn't the problem either. The problem is that the cadence symbol (at the top of the Edge's screen) is flashing an X all the time.

Hack Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by steigw
    I just replaced the cadence sensor with a new battery and the results are the same, so the battery isn't the problem. I'm watching actual cadence on the edge and it has always reported it acurately, so that isn't the problem either. The problem is that the cadence symbol (at the top of the Edge's screen) is flashing an X all the time.
    If the cadence symbol on the top of the screen in the status bar is flashing X it means the garmin edge 305 unit is not registering your cadence/speed sensor. But you say that your unit shows the cadence correctly, which is odd.

Try rescanning for the cadence sensor under the settings menu. Or try resetting the cadence sensor by pressing the opaque rubber button down on the cadence sensor it self.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It means its not getting a reading from one or the other i.e. crank or wheel
    Chances are your wheel sensor is not reading and you will never notice if you are riding as the GPS takes precedence. Try spinning the back wheel while standing still and see if you get a reading (sometimes you have to turn the GPS off).
    I get this all the time when the Spinergy wheels are on the bike as I have no spoke magnet for those wheels.
    KIN
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I've rescanned for the cadence sensor and also have reset the sensor with the rubber button on the sensor itself. Same problem still exists. Very puzzling!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Its missing your wheel sensor. The cad is picking up off the crank arm but the wheel magnet is not reading
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by KINBOY
    Its missing your wheel sensor. The cad is picking up off the crank arm but the wheel magnet is not reading
    Agreed. Happened to me when the wheel magnet got bumped with bike leaned against brush. When I repositioned the magnet and sensor, it worked.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You are both right. Re-adjusted the wheel magnet and the symbol became static on the display. Thank you both very much!