Save Jesus

A few Garmin questions

I have a Dakota 20.

1) Is there a way to take a pdf map, and somehow import it onto the device while maintaining a vector format and geo-referencing?

Currently, I do the thing where I have a pdf map, convert it to a raster image, georeference with google earth, save as kmz, use G-raster to split up the image, then import into the device. There are two problems with this. One is that the image becomes blurry if I zoom in. The second is that the device can either display all or none kmz files, so if I have maps for a bunch of parks, it will slow down the device loading.

2) On the touch screen device, occasionally I will touch it "wrong" and get the red pin for waypoint, or whatever. How do I get this red pin to go away? If I touch the back button, it jumps me back to my current location, instead of the far away place I am looking at.

3) On the GPSfilesdepot page, there is a map for "Midpeninsula Open Space Map" which has the trails near my area. However, that is outdated with 2009 data, whereas 2011 data is available. The file is an installable. Can I simply open the file with a zip manager and replace/rename the files with the updated versions?

Comments in red.

Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    I have a Dakota 20.

1) Is there a way to take a pdf map, and somehow import it onto the device while maintaining a vector format and geo-referencing?

Currently, I do the thing where I have a pdf map, convert it to a raster image, georeference with google earth, save as kmz, use G-raster to split up the image, then import into the device. There are two problems with this. One is that the image becomes blurry if I zoom in. The second is that the device can either display all or none kmz files, so if I have maps for a bunch of parks, it will slow down the device loading.

.kmz is it. when you make a custom map .kmz, that map has an optimal zoom level. I don't know about the method you used. I use Topofusion to load maps, and it gives me scale options to load onto the GPS. If you zoom beyond the optimal scale level of the map you installed, it will be pixelated. No way around that. The only way to get vector data on is to start with individual vector files like .gpx, .shp, etc. If you have trails in .gpx and you want to just make an overlay for trails, you can use GPX2IMG and it will build an .img that will be installed into Garmin Mapsource and you can then load onto your GPS like a basemap with your topos.

You might want to look into the .kmz custom map display thing again. On my Oregon, I can name my custom maps something different and I can display one or more of them at a time. Each time I load one, it gets a new file name that can be enabled/disabled individually. I usually find that I have more map segments installed than the GPS can handle on the screen at once. Which is fine, because at the optimal zoom level I choose, it cannot display more than a few segments at once.

2) On the touch screen device, occasionally I will touch it "wrong" and get the red pin for waypoint, or whatever. How do I get this red pin to go away? If I touch the back button, it jumps me back to my current location, instead of the far away place I am looking at.

when you do that, you should be able to see an icon at the bottom of the screen that's a "back" arrow and will return you to what you were doing before.

3) On the GPSfilesdepot page, there is a map for "Midpeninsula Open Space Map" which has the trails near my area. However, that is outdated with 2009 data, whereas 2011 data is available. The file is an installable. Can I simply open the file with a zip manager and replace/rename the files with the updated versions?

I am not sure what you mean by this. where is the 2011 data available? GPSFileDepot? is it the executable, or the 2009 data? what files do you want to replace with what?

Save Jesus
    Thanks for taking the time to answer.

So far, I have used Google Earth to upload the .kmz files to the Dakota. I think they all get plopped into a directory called "custom maps". If I look at the screen of the device, I get one big button that says "custom maps", and inside this button are all the files I have uploaded. So I can either turn this entire button on or off.

Lets say I upload a trail map in another city and navigate to that section of the map. If I accidentally put a pushpin there and hit the back button, the map re-centers on my current location.

Here is the gpsfilesdepot page for midpen:
    Midpeninsula Open Space Garmin Compatible Map - GPSFileDepot

It comes as an installer and was made back in 2009. If you use a zip program to open up the executable, you can see a bunch of files inside. This web page also has a link to midpen's web page with the current 2011 data.

Openspace.org - District Data Downloads

If I download the zip file with all the img files, they have different names than the 2009 version, and also there is no installer or tdb file or whatever. So I can't simply open these files in Basecamp.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

eTrex 30 track following question

Hello All,

Sorry for jumping into this thread, but I haven't posted enough to start my own thread. Thanks for your patience.

I have a question about my eTrex 30. One of the things I want to do is load a track from a previous MTB ride and follow it. I have been able to load a track from a previous ride and see it on the display with no problems. The problem is that the tracks that I use often cross over themselves in a figure 8 or even more complicated pattern. Twice so far I've ended up following a part of the track that was going in the opposite direction from the one I intended. It would be great if tracks that were displayed included arrows showing the direction of travel (as they are in Basecamp). Does anyone know how to add arrows to tracks that are displayed on the eTrex 30? Or is there another good option for following a track and staying on the track in the correct direction?

Thanks,
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to answer.

So far, I have used Google Earth to upload the .kmz files to the Dakota. I think they all get plopped into a directory called "custom maps". If I look at the screen of the device, I get one big button that says "custom maps", and inside this button are all the files I have uploaded. So I can either turn this entire button on or off.

Lets say I upload a trail map in another city and navigate to that section of the map. If I accidentally put a pushpin there and hit the back button, the map re-centers on my current location.

Here is the gpsfilesdepot page for midpen:
    Midpeninsula Open Space Garmin Compatible Map - GPSFileDepot

It comes as an installer and was made back in 2009. If you use a zip program to open up the executable, you can see a bunch of files inside. This web page also has a link to midpen's web page with the current 2011 data.

Openspace.org - District Data Downloads

If I download the zip file with all the img files, they have different names than the 2009 version, and also there is no installer or tdb file or whatever. So I can't simply open these files in Basecamp.
    How To Load .img Files Into MapSource or BaseCamp With MapSetToolkit - GPSFileDepot