mtbr member

Favorite sensor setup for iPhone?

I'm looking at the Wahoo setup for an iPhone 4, but I find it quite conning and immoral to require a user to purchase several different pieces of equipment that were purposefully designed for such.

So, what are you using for cadence and speed for your iPhone?

Ride More, Whine Less

It is time to upgrade your phone. Lots of good Bluetooth sensors out there. There are also ant+ to Bluetooth bridges coming out. Your phone will be the rate limiting piece if you don't want to run with dongles plugged in.

mtbr member

I won't be upgrading my phone. I don't have a problem with stuff hanging out of my phone.

Tradere Scriptura Magister

Ride More, Whine Less
    In that case, I think your only option is an ANT+ dongle.

You'll need to be more specific about what you don't like in Wahoo's business model. Most sensors are sold separately. The iphone 4 stuff was first generation connectors. The technology has come a long way since then.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    I'm looking at the Wahoo setup for an iPhone 4, but I find it quite conning and immoral to require a user to purchase several different pieces of equipment that were purposefully designed for such.

I use a Wahoo Blue HR monitor and a Wahoo Speed & Cadence sensor. I like both, they do a good job as long as Wahoo is not breaking their app again.

Formerly of Kent
    Anyone had a problem with their Wahoo dongle?

I went to my shop today, and they were able to acquire a signal with their iPhone 4 and dongle using my wheel. Used the CycleOps software.

However, I was not able to get a signal with mine, despite it being straight out of the box, using the exact same app on my iPhone 4.

What gives?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post

I don't get what you are saying here by them requiring several different pieces.... I got a wahoo blue speed/cadence sensor for xmas last year and just slapped it on the bike, made sure it was reading, and away I went.

Ride More, Whine Less
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Anyone had a problem with their Wahoo dongle?

I went to my shop today, and they were able to acquire a signal with their iPhone 4 and dongle using my wheel. Used the CycleOps software.

However, I was not able to get a signal with mine, despite it being straight out of the box, using the exact same app on my iPhone 4.

What gives?
    Need more details -- sensor, dongle, etc. Some reassurance that you put a battery in the sensor would be nice to add

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bc3xx0 View Post
    I don't get what you are saying here by them requiring several different pieces.... I got a wahoo blue speed/cadence sensor for xmas last year and just slapped it on the bike, made sure it was reading, and away I went.
    The iPhone 4 does not have Bluetooth 4.0 like the 4S onwards, so he needs a dock connector dongle and cant use the newer Wahoo Blue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Need more details -- sensor, dongle, etc. Some reassurance that you put a battery in the sensor would be nice to add
    and which app were you using? Wahoo Utility?
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pablobell View Post
    The iPhone 4 does not have Bluetooth 4.0 like the 4S onwards, so he needs a dock connector dongle and cant use the newer Wahoo Blue.
    Ahhhh!!! Makes sense now! But the worst part is, I knew that!!

However, the wahoo blue sensor was not "Purposefully designed" for the 4. Says on the box it's for the 4s and above, and will not work on the 4. So I don't think it's conning or immoral. If you got old tech, you're just making it work.

Ride More, Whine Less

That box was printed when there was only an iPhone 4. Wahoo is generally very clear on the necessary pieces to make something work. In this case, you could spend 99 cents and get a 4s.