I always bleed like this.

explorist 610/710

Anyone using these?
    I am considering the 610, it will be doing quadruple duty, road bike, mountain, geocach (never done it but I think the kids will love it) and as a backup to a real map and compass for CONUS training.
    Anyone have enough experience to give some pro's and cons?

P.S. I know the Garmin 450 is nice and cost less, however, this is for gaining info and the Garmin has some drawbacks for my use that I don't want to deal with.

I haven't heard much about these. Magellan has a long history of bad customer service and buggy firmware that they never address and the company is going to have to do some work before a lot of customers consider buying product from them. Some people will have to make a leap of faith on some of these to see if the company has taken steps to improve...but that won't be me. I have a budget and can't afford to risk hundreds on a potential dud.

I always bleed like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk
    I haven't heard much about these. Magellan has a long history of bad customer service and buggy firmware that they never address and the company is going to have to do some work before a lot of customers consider buying product from them. Some people will have to make a leap of faith on some of these to see if the company has taken steps to improve...but that won't be me. I have a budget and can't afford to risk hundreds on a potential dud.

Magellan was bought out. New owners have been working on that bad rep. I heard the same stuff, then I went looking for a new GPS for my car. Bought a Magellan after reading the good reviews, (and after they were under new ownership). It has been great.

Nate, I know you have the Oregon 450 and love it. At the same time the Oregon does not provide what I am looking for at an acceptable price, ($90 for decent 1/24k topo for just a few states is fiscal rape, paying $100 for crappy 1/100k US maps is no better and FAT data formatting limits expansion memory to 4gb are my big issues). If I use free maps I am limited on space and if I go with Garmin they want my children as callateral. The Magellans have US 1/24k on the $400 model and can take a 32gb micro sd card.

If Magellan has fixed the majority of their problems and from what I have been reading their customer support has been showing improvement to match the hardware, then I am not going to look the other way. I know they have been putting out updates for the 510-710 series.

So, if anyone does own one I wouldn't mind know how it has been working for you.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorBehavior
    Magellan was bought out. New owners have been working on that bad rep. I heard the same stuff, then I went looking for a new GPS for my car. Bought a Magellan after reading the good reviews, (and after they were under new ownership). It has been great.

Nate, I know you have the Oregon 450 and love it. At the same time the Oregon does not provide what I am looking for at an acceptable price, ($90 for decent 1/24k topo for just a few states is fiscal rape, paying $100 for crappy 1/100k US maps is no better and FAT data formatting limits expansion memory to 4gb are my big issues). If I use free maps I am limited on space and if I go with Garmin they want my children as callateral. The Magellans have US 1/24k on the $400 model and can take a 32gb micro sd card.

If Magellan has fixed the majority of their problems and from what I have been reading their customer support has been showing improvement to match the hardware, then I am not going to look the other way. I know they have been putting out updates for the 510-710 series.

So, if anyone does own one I wouldn't mind know how it has been working for you.
    as far as I can tell, Magellan's car models were the primary focus while they let the handheld division slide under previous ownership. I would like to see the company provide a solid product and stand behind it because historically they've been known to bring new features to market.

Do you actually intend to make use of the memory capacity in the GPS? I only ask because I have not needed to make use of the memory capacity on my Oregon. In fact, I still have not even installed a removable memory chip on it. I put free 1:24k vector maps for about 1/4 of the country for my winter holiday vacation, make extensive use of the "custom maps" raster imagery option, have loaded close to 5,000 geocaches, and have a good bit of track data stored on the 850mb of onboard memory. I just haven't needed more yet.

It cost me $250 for the GPS about $70 for Topofusion, and whatever it cost for GSAK (geocache program). I do not use any of the maps Garmin sells.

Not that I'm trying to convince you one way or the other, but it seems your perceptions may be a bit off from the reality. If you actually have uses in mind that need more than ~5GB of storage, then you can ignore me, but I have to wonder what they would be.