Demon Cleaner

Experiences using GPS equipped Mp3 players for Strava and navigation

I've been considering a Mp3 player like a Samsung Galaxy 5 that has internal GPS. From what I see online it's possible to use these to navigate with preloaded maps, but I'm wondering if anyone has used one on trails? Theoretically, one could load Strava on it too. Then it would update once it had a working wifi. I'm guessing it won't work, but I'd be curious to know otherwise!

For those that haven't seen these before, they're basically a smartphone without a cellphone plan or connection. They work as standalone units that utilize wifi to suddenly gain all the nice features of a typical smartphone.
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

Initiate Tree Dodger
    Aug 2012
    if you could download the map for the area it 'should' work.. however i'd just get an Edge/Forerunner Garmin for doing that kind of thing. as the GPS in those units isnt as accurate as a dedicated GPS unit.

Rode the same ride with an iPhone running strava and me running strava on my Forerunner. the iPhone added like 2 miles to the same 6mile trail we rode.

Demon Cleaner
    Thanks that's helpful. The Samsung Galaxy 5 GPS is supposed to be inaccurate so I'm betting it'd really struggle with getting trail riding right.

My problem is that I want too little (no data plan) and too much (gps navigation, gym tracker, Mp3, etc)
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

Initiate Tree Dodger
    Aug 2012
    I'd look at going the Garmin route and if you need to log stuff use the Galaxy for that, just not the GPS Solution