Master Gardener

Examples of Maps you've created in NatGeo Topo?

I've played around a bit with the demo version of TopoFusion and have seen some really nice looking maps created by users of TF.

I manage a topo map library at work and was coerced into using Nat Geo Topo! instead of TopoFusion for our needs. I'm new to GPS, new to mapping and new to Nat Geo Topo, but I've been dorking around with it and it really seems to me like Nat Geo simply isn't capable of making maps that look anywhere near as attractive as TF does.

But I realize I may be doing something wrong, so wanted to see the maps some of you have created.

Thanks!

What kind of employer is this? Seems odd to be using consumer software to manage any kind of map library. Sound like you need to be running a GIS instead. Far more flexible.

I only have 1:100k maps available for my version of Topo (Back Roads Explorer) and they're on some 30 CD's. I don't enjoy messing with it unless I have something I need to do. I've only toyed with Topofusion, but I do like it better.

Master Gardener
    I work for a university's adventure education program. NatGeo isn't for managing our map library. I manage the library, but the library houses computers that instructors use to plan field courses and so are equipped with useful mapping programs and the like. GIS would be serious overkill for us.

As for creating attractive maps, my interest stems from my involvement in an organization that creates trail maps, promotes trail work days and organizes mtn biking events.

The one benefit to NG Topo that few programs do well is the inclusion of a grid and coordinate system for use with a compass. I'll try to track down a map I had already created instead of firing up the program and rifling through the book of disks.

Ah, here's one. I thought I had more, but could only find this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master Gardener
    See now, that's really nice. I need to find someone to give me a tutorial.

Was the map itself from the Map Data Disks that come with the software?

Very cool. So there is hope, then. Thanks!

Greg

To make the map, you can select the area you want included in the map and the software puts everything together automatically. It's best for printing. Not so great for sharing over the web. I pretty much only use mine to plan hiking trips.

Also, realize that mine are only 1:100k scale. Only a minimum amount of detail. The state series packages come at 1:24k scale that shows a lot more detail. The area in that map I posted is commonly referred to as the "Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania". It's a pretty deep/steep gorge and the 1:100k barely looks like a hiccup in the terrain.