Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Biker Boater Boarder

Even Garmin Tech Support gave up!

I thought it would be cool to purchase a 32 gb SD card and put it on my Garmin Edge 800 and go to Utah Mountain Biking dot com and download all there GPX files.
    So I downloaded all the files and dropped them into my NEW FILE folder on the SD card which converts them to .fit files. But they won't show on the 800 when powered up. So I thought well I'll drop them into the NEW FILES folder on the 800 internal memory.....some showed up, but not all.

Then I figured, well, I'll go through Garmin Base Camp "Send list to device" then select SD card. Nothing.... then thought "Send list to device" this time select to internal memory NOTHING.

Ok surely Garmin Connect has the files I want...YEAH RIGHT! So I decided to take my list of GPX files and upload them to Garmin Connect....well when opened you get one ride that has a bunch of different segments in it....thats gonna take for ever to put the rides back together and all the segments.

After 4 hours on the phone with Garmin this afternoon....YES 4 HOURS....they can't figure it out.

Does anyone know if the Utahmountainbiking.com files are bad? They will appear in Base Camp great BUT won't all load to my device.

Anyone got a clue? It makes you wonder why you spend $500 on a device like this when the instructions suck, tech support doesn't even know how to operate the device and every where you read...people can barely get these things running the way they want.

Ideas??
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

Lots of kids tell me they want to be firefighters when they grow up, I tell them they can't do both!

Biker Boater Boarder
    PS Does anyone have GPX files from their 800 for the Fruita CO trails that are working and clean that they know are good that I can attempt to put on this 800?
    Thanks,
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

Lots of kids tell me they want to be firefighters when they grow up, I tell them they can't do both!

You have to be careful of gpx files from other websites. Sometimes they will not adhere to the most stringent gpx file standards. PC programs can do nonstandard things with gpx files that the gps cannot handle.

For example, a gpx the depicts a trail network with intersections will not draw on the gps. It is a fact of life you have to deal with. You can only load gpx files that depict a trail as a continuous out and back, loop, or whatever.

trail rat
    It is the map segments as Nate stated, and this.

From the Garmin FAQ:
    https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={1e5cae00-26d7-11e1-45da-000000000000}

What is the largest size microSD card I can use with my Edge 810, 800, 705 and 605?

Email this Answer
    Print this Answer

01/15/2013

The Edge 810, 800, 705 and 605 have an expandable memory slot into which a microSD* card can be inserted. This card provides the ability to install detailed mapping to enhance the device's internal basemap.

It is recommended a standard speed card, no larger than 32 GB, be used in order to get the best performance from the device. Class 4 to Class 10 is considered standard speed.

While considering memory limitations, another limitation is the number of individual mapping segments. Roughly 3,000 mapping segments can be transferred to the Edge 810/800 and roughly 2,000 mapping segments to the Edge 605 and 705.

The Edge will pick and choose which map segments to show when the map segment limit is surpassed. It is suggested to transfer additional mapping segments to another microSD card.

*While any brand of microSD card should work, Garmin has only tested more common brands such as SanDisk and Kingston.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    I would think that the skid map files are probably the best option for what you are looking for it you live close enough to one of the sponsor bike shops to get an access code: The Skid Map

Good Luck!

Biker Boater Boarder
    NateHawk....I was just wanting GPX files of "Tracks" from other riders that I could start and follow ie Courses. Some work some dont....just trying to figure it out. I think you are right though....maybe these are bad files on a GPS but are fine on my Mac and Base Camp.
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

mtbr dismember

No problems

Quote Originally Posted by SummitSurfer View Post
    ... every where you read...people can barely get these things running the way they want...
    Never had a problem with my 800. Based on some of your posts "user error", and unreasonable expectations may be part of the problem

NateHawk....I was just wanting GPX files of "Tracks" from other riders that I could start and follow ie Courses. Some work some dont....just trying to figure it out. I think you are right though....maybe these are bad files on a GPS but are fine on my Mac and Base Camp.
    Link up some of the files and a detailed workflow and we might be able to give you a better idea

Biker Boater Boarder
    Wherewolf...Im starting to think you are right, maybe my expectations of this device are to high. And some user error BUT even Garmen Tech support told me the user interface on this particular series has been challenging for the company. Im just asking the device to do what it says it can do on the box.
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

Epic rider

Re: Even Garmin Tech Support gave up!

Loading gpx files with multiple tracks inside one gpx causes problems.
    Easiest way to load your edge with gpx files is by using wingdb3, see http://www.sackman.info
    12 Anthem X29
    07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr dismember
    Wherewolf...Im starting to think you are right, maybe my expectations of this device are to high. And some user error BUT even Garmen Tech support told me the user interface on this particular series has been challenging for the company. Im just asking the device to do what it says it can do on the box.
    I doubt any of the tech support people have ever actually used the unit on a trail.

Biker Boater Boarder
    No....the guy helping me actually felt bad about the hang ups and emailed me a handful of Moab trails he uses. Its all good, im going check out skid map.
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

Are you going to post links to the files that gave you trouble?

FasCat Coaching
    PS Does anyone have GPX files from their 800 for the Fruita CO trails that are working and clean that they know are good that I can attempt to put on this 800?
    Thanks,
    I have a few here.... these should work, if not PM me and I'll send you the link for the files directly

Western Rim/Zion
    Kokopelli
    Grand Junction Lunch loops

I do highly recommend buying a trails maps book in town. Best $15-20 I spent
    FasCat Coaching
    Personalized Coaching for All Cyclists

Biker Boater Boarder
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Are you going to post links to the files that gave you trouble?
    Utah Mountain Bike Trail Index Page Fins and Things GPX is one of many that dont work.
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

Utah Mountain Bike Trail Index Page Fins and Things GPX is one of many that dont work.
    What part of the state is that one in? Not going to blindly browse for it.

Biker Boater Boarder
    What part of the state is that one in? Not going to blindly browse for it.
    My bad....its Moab Utah. I'm finding that if I use Skidmap I can download successfully to the device short segments of trail but not named trails containing multiple segments.
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

Biker Boater Boarder
    Quote Originally Posted by sprocketjockey9 View Post
    I have a few here.... these should work, if not PM me and I'll send you the link for the files directly

Western Rim/Zion
    Kokopelli
    Grand Junction Lunch loops

I do highly recommend buying a trails maps book in town. Best $15-20 I spent
    Wow...thanks those worked perfectly and I might have to buy a motorcycle to do that kinda milage ha ha! Thanks again.
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

okay, I see it. simple problem easily rectified.

Name:  FinsNThings-Small.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  57.8 KB

Okay, so here is a quick map of the Fins & Things .gpx file. This .gpx cannot be loaded into a Garmin as-is. Why? The way Garmin interprets .gpx files is that they are continuous rides (a "track" of a previous ride, for example). This particular file illustrates a simple "network" trail arrangement. There are a couple alternates and spurs leading to parking areas. This confuses the GPS, which thinks that the .gpx you are loading reflects a continuous ride. And because this one (and likely many others you attempted to load) does not, it confuses the GPS. It's an annoying limitation, but not difficult to fix.

The red trail here is an example of a single continuous point-to-point trail that would load fine

Name:  LittleCanyonMag7-LRes.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  68.6 KB

The red loop trail in this graphic would also work correctly, as it is a continuous loop with no spurs or alternates.

Name:  BrandTrails-LRes.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  94.8 KB

One simple thing will solve this problem with network arrangement trails. A program called GPX2IMG. With it, you convert those GPX files into basemaps for your GPS. This program does not allow you to make them navigable trails on the basemap, but that is doable if you are STRONGLY motivated to do it (the software is expensive for that). But, the positive side is that if you buy the full version of this program, you can take ALL of the trails and put them all into one GPX basemap for an area. GPSFileDepot.com already has some maps like that that other people have made. The western US has less coverage on those than the eastern US, but I would bet that a file already exists for popular places like Moab. If you wanted a navigable file to put onto your GPS, you could simply trace the route you wish to follow, making sure it is continuous (if you travel one way down a spur, either you end your ride, or you double back on yourself at some point to cover that trail again) for the whole ride you wish, and make that into a GPX.

Biker Boater Boarder
    Dude! You rock! That is exactly that! Sure enough I checked the ones which failed to load and thats there problem! Why didnt anyone else know this? You should make this sticky! NateDawk....thank you very much....you have saved the day
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

Epic rider

That is exactly that! Sure enough I checked the ones which failed to load and thats there problem! Why didnt anyone else know this?
    The 10th post or so of this thread already mentioned the multiple track issue...
    12 Anthem X29
    07 Epic Marathon carbon
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rapsac View Post
    The 10th post or so of this thread already mentioned the multiple track issue...
    I actually mentioned it in post 3. I post about this issue often because it trips people up frequently.

Epic rider

I actually mentioned it in post 3.
    Hmm, always read carefully
    12 Anthem X29
    07 Epic Marathon carbon
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Another vote for GPX2IMG. It creates a transparent image overlay of the whole network. I do this for all the areas I'm interested in.

Biker Boater Boarder
    Now that I understand the big pictures, thanks to post 10,3,7,9,2,5 etc etc har har. I can see the value in having a program gpx2img.....but I noticed there didnt appear to be a Mac application?
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast