mtbr member
    Feb 2005

etrex vista / summit profile Q

I'm looking at getting a garmin vista HCX which has an altimeter and can show route profiles.

But...

can it show me on the profile if i repeat the route (ie will it show how far up the climbs i am like a garmin edge will). And if i plot a new route on bike route toaster with height data then load this into the etrex will it have a profile for the route i havent ridden yet?

The garmin edge units can do this, just wondered if the altimeter etrex ones can as well.

Cheers

Scott in Tucson
    Nope, it will only show you a profile of what you have ridden in the past. You can't get it to profile a track you have uploaded, nor will it show you your position on a profile.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krein
    Nope, it will only show you a profile of what you have ridden in the past. You can't get it to profile a track you have uploaded, nor will it show you your position on a profile.

Hmm...I know I've got mine to show me profiles of tracks other people have done, that I've downloaded from motionbased, and others. It's buried under a few functions, IIRC, once you have the track selected (but NOT on the map page) press "menu" and one of the options should be "profile". Select it, and it will ask where you want the source for the profile to come from; "track" (or something like that, the elevation that is recorded in the track file) or "map.". "Map" of course only works with maps that have digital elevation information, so I think you need one of the garmin products (topo 2008, etc) as I don't think any of the "homemade" maps out there have that.

I've also got it to provide a profile from tracks I've created in Mapsource. Actually, I think I've been able to make it work with Topofusion also (thanks Krein) by selecting "map" as the source to receive elevation data from. I haven't tried creating any routes since Topofusion made DEM data available...maybe it could get profile data from map or track (which would have gotten it's data from the map as it was drawn) Something to experiment with when conditions are not inviting to be out on the bike.

As for seeing where you are on a climb, that's pretty sketchy. You have to bring up the profile, move the crosshairs to where you best guess is as to where you are, and press enter. This brings you to the map page with the pointer located on the track where you clicked, and then you compare that with the little triangle thing where you really are. Useful sometimes in unfamiliar area, but not something you can really use to gauge your climb as you go.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

Scott in Tucson
    Hey Johnny,

Nice find... you do have to hit the menu button and a little menu with only 'profile' comes up. Very useful... I had no idea!

It's nice that you can see where on the map a spot on the profile is, but, yeah, it's still tough to figure out exactly where you are. My tracks on the unit were uploaded from TopoFusion and I selected "from tracks." Worked well.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.