Tossin the salad.

eTrex Venture Cx w/ topo fusion?

Looking to purchase a eTrex Venture Cx w/ topo fusion.

Was wondering if this CX model is a good unit? I want to use it to track the trails I ride. Also to use it for highway / city driving. Would this be a good one for $200 or less price range?

Thanks

Scott in Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_Shifter
    Looking to purchase a eTrex Venture Cx w/ topo fusion.

Was wondering if this CX model is a good unit? I want to use it to track the trails I ride. Also to use it for highway / city driving. Would this be a good one for $200 or less price range?

Thanks
    I responded to your email, but wanted to answer here in case it's helpful to anyone else.

The Venture CX will work just fine with TopoFusion. No problem tracking rides, planning rides and uploading other people's rides. As long as you're not in a heavily forested area, the CX is a solid choice for tracking rides, in my opinion.

However, it sounds like you're looking for maps to *upload* to the unit. TopoFusion's maps are images, which the Venture is really not designed to display.

There's a piece of software called MOAGU that will allow you to upload limited image maps (maps from TopoFusion will work and are relatively easy to get calibrated), but not only is the process for setting them up time consuming and involved, the maps display very slowly.

For maps to display on the GPS it's pretty much the options that Garmin offers (Mapsource Topo 2008). Or you could wait for the new 24k (better detail) series coming out. There are also some free offerings for selected states (haven't seen Texas yet).

With that, if you want city and highway driving, you'll probably want one of the Garmin road products as well...
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.