mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Etrex Legend HCX, 60gsx or something else?

I'm looking for a GPS mostly to help me navagate dirt/jeep/fire roads. So, mapping and turn by turn is important. Don't really need elevation. I would like to be able to plan out my route before hand. I have a bike computer so I don't need cadence or any thing like that.
    I was looking at the Garmin Etrex Legend HCX or the 60gsx. I can get both for under $200(without additional maps) Any suggestions on which would be best for me? Or other options?
    Thanks.

Will you be using it on your bike or in the trailhead assault vehicle?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    On my bike.

If mapping is important to you, I'd consider something that allows satellite imagery. A Delorme or a Garmin that supports it (Dakota, Oregon, 62/78, etc). Knowing that dirt roads often don't show up on maps, having sat views would be helpful because even dirt roads that don't appear on maps should appear on sat images.

Your description of turn-by-turn sounds to me like you really just want something you can put a "route" (a pre-planned .gpx set up so the GPS tells you which way to turn) onto for nav assistance.

It does not sound like you are necessarily looking for something that would be able to set up the routing on its own based on street addresses and whatnot. Pretty much any GPS will allow you to pre-plan a route on your computer and load it onto the GPS so the GPS can prompt you at intersections. Even GPS receivers that do not support autorouting (GPS chooses the route to your chosen address or coordinates, typically by "shortest distance" or "fastest time", which frequently does not result in bicycle-friendly routes) will let you load a pre-planned route.

The Vista or 60CSx will do exactly what you want as far as the routing options, but you have more limited sources for maps than you would with a receiver that supports satellite images.