mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Entry Level computer Cateye Vectra, Planet Bike, or...

I'm looking into getting a cycling computer for the first time. I don't need anything to fancy I just want it to work reliably. Only basic features are needed mph, odometer, etc. and it can be wired or wireless. I've been looking at the Cateye Vectra and the Planet Bike Protege 9.0 as the main points of interest. Any thoughts on these two or any other sugestions you may have would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    My buddy has used the Vectra wireless for about a year now so when I was ready for a computer I picked one up. I have had no problems so far except for the locking mechanism on the mount breaking today but it has been outside in the cold so I'm not going to say that is a product error (a $2 part). On the mtb trails it has had accurate mileage (matching the trail head #'s).

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ryandoobs
    My buddy has used the Vectra wireless for about a year now so when I was ready for a computer I picked one up. I have had no problems so far except for the locking mechanism on the mount breaking today but it has been outside in the cold so I'm not going to say that is a product error (a $2 part). On the mtb trails it has had accurate mileage (matching the trail head #'s).
    Thanks for the response! I think I'm leaning towards one of these as I have read numerous complaints about the difficulty of getting the sensor lined up on the Planet Bike Protege 9.0.

mtbr member
    It is pretty easy to get the unit set up. I thought it would take more time to get it calibrated but the instructions are straight forward.
    EMAW