107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Endomondo

34 31.78%
  • Strava

73 68.22%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Paste eater

endomondo vs Strava

I'm far from a weight-weenie stat geek. Just like to log my miles. Endomondo has been working great here in Moab even without cell service. I keep hearing about Strava. Are there any advantages to switching?

sheep in FOX clothing
    I use Endomondo on my BB for live tracking on some rides so selected people can see where I am. And the endomondo tracklog is a backup in case something goes amiss with the Garmin log.

I use Strava for my Edge500 output, because..... it makes every ride a race?

If that doesn't sound like an advantage to you, it's probably not work switching just to log miles.

Give it a crank
    Each is good at it's own thing, I prefer Endomondo for logging my rides. I used to also use Strava but dropped it after choosing just one of the two. Strava is highly focused on competitive riding and training stats and my riding is purely recreational so I stopped using it.

Paste eater
    Ok, thanks. Not interested peletons, skin suits or fragile egos. I'll stick with, Mt Dew, Bro Bras and Endomondo

mtbr member
    I use endo to track my ride then export the track and upload it to Strava. Why? I just like to look at the different segments and see how I compare with others.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabeach2001 View Post
    I use endo to track my ride then export the track and upload it to Strava. Why? I just like to look at the different segments and see how I compare with others.
    That's how I use it too. Endomondo for every ride and if I want to see how I did on a stretch I'll bring the file into Strava.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    strava

mtbr member
    I love Strava. I'd disagree with the opinion above that it turns everything into a race if you're able to see someone going faster than you and not immediately want to beat them!

I'm not really competitive - instead, I have a few friends on there and really enjoy seeing how they're doing and I really like Strava's interface and presentation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I run them both at the same time. Its a smartphone right? You don't have to choose between the two. Sometimes I run sports tracker too.

Quote Originally Posted by trcons View Post
    I run them both at the same time. Its a smartphone right? You don't have to choose between the two. Sometimes I run sports tracker too.
    why on earth would you do that unless you're testing? it's going to eat your battery.

I really don't see much of a point to the basic upload sites/phone apps that don't do anything special. The market is so completely saturated by these that you really need to differentiate yourself. Strava has done that with its segments and onsite social interface, IMO. I don't use their phone app, but I do upload my rides there on occasion for the segments and the competition. The competition here isn't all that stiff, and I'm fairly slow. But I figure just by contributing I am adding to the competition.

My ride yesterday was primarily focused on beating a guy who has the Strava KOM on a particular segment. I came within 4sec of his time. I don't always try for the segments, but doing so occasionally gives me a goal to work on and varies my rides. But considering how close I am, my next ride out there will also be focused on claiming the KOM for that climb. Now, that other guy has noticed my attempts so MAYBE he'll get out there and try to keep his KOM. That would be fine by me. At least there'd be a little friendly competition...because I almost never see other riders out there.

Endomondo? Why? What does it have that others don't aside from a phone app that looks nice?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    LOL why on earth would you run a phone that has such a crappy battery life. In addition to running those 2 sometimes 3 gps tracking apps I also run rhapsody and occasionally take a phone call.

LOL why on earth would you run a phone that has such a crappy battery life. In addition to running those 2 sometimes 3 gps tracking apps I also run rhapsody and occasionally take a phone call.
    I don't use a phone on the trail at all, for a lot of reasons that apparently will be completely lost on you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Nate, come on out of your mom's basement and join the 90's. Why in the world would you not bring a cell phone with you. I carry a cell phone with me every time I ride for reasons that I am sure would be lost on you.

Nate, come on out of your mom's basement and join the 90's. Why in the world would you not bring a cell phone with you. I carry a cell phone with me every time I ride for reasons that I am sure would be lost on you.
    I have a cell phone. it's my only phone. it goes in my pack. off. I am not married to my phone like you apparently are.

mtbr member
    I too like to run multiple apps at the same time, since for whatever reason they tend to have slightly different numbers at the end. Yesterday I used Endomondo Pro and Strava while playing my workout playlist with Play Music. At the end, Endomondo said I rode 11.13 miles, while Strava said 11.3. Tonight I'm using all three again plus My Tracks to record the route and compare the distance again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Munnarg View Post
    I too like to run multiple apps at the same time, since for whatever reason they tend to have slightly different numbers at the end. Yesterday I used Endomondo Pro and Strava while playing my workout playlist with Play Music. At the end, Endomondo said I rode 11.13 miles, while Strava said 11.3. Tonight I'm using all three again plus My Tracks to record the route and compare the distance again.
    I find this amusing... I track my rides using my Bluetooth GPS Tracker (it has a built-in tracklog), which the phone is using as its GPS (internal phone GPS sucks), and I run Endomondo on it.

My bike computer is perfectly calibrated, I've tested it multiple times on tracks etc... They all three are sometimes very close to each other, maybe .1 miles off, other times they're vastly off. Bike computer and track logger usually match, but Endomondo is often as much as a MILE down over 10 miles.

I ride twisty singletrack, I suspect some of it is "rounding errors", but it's pretty excessive. Plus other times on the SAME basic ride, it's much closer. I think Endomondo does weird stuff sometimes.

I might try Strava just for giggles. I'm a GPS geek, mile stats are just fun metadata, although it is a little motivating to hear lap times and when you stop it tells you it paused, etc... I turn the phone up to loud and put it in my water pack bag and I can hear it clearly while I ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    although it is a little motivating to hear lap times and when you stop it tells you it paused, etc... I turn the phone up to loud and put it in my water pack bag and I can hear it clearly while I ride.
    I have gone out for a slow cruise type of ride and then heard my lap time and picked it up a little, heard my next lap time and again picked it up until it was no longer on a cruise ride. I now normally turn the volume way down and enjoy my rides more.

Give it a crank
    I've recently noticed many improvements to the app and website for Strava since the last time I looked at each, over a year ago when I signed up. The app is considerably improved since and the website is much easier to navigate. I'm updating my vote to Strava now, especially since that's where the riding crowd I know is at.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabeach2001 View Post
    I have gone out for a slow cruise type of ride and then heard my lap time and picked it up a little, heard my next lap time and again picked it up until it was no longer on a cruise ride. I now normally turn the volume way down and enjoy my rides more.
    Oh, I don't so much care about that, it seems me going so I am not overly lazy. If one mile is 7 minutes and the next is 9, I need to pick up the pace. I'm trying to build stamina and get back into shape, me being lazy isn't going to do that.

mtbr member
    Oh, I don't so much care about that,
    If you don't enjoy your ride will you keep riding?

me being lazy isn't going to do that.
    Ouch. :thumbup:

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    i voted Endomondo. I prefer to log all my activity with Endomondo, but i just signed up for strava because it seems a little more competitive and i want to beat the pants off people in my neighborhood.

psycho cyclo addict
    Forget $trava.

mtbr member
    If I'm riding somewhere and might get lost, MyTracks and then export the track to Strava later.

If I'm riding around town and know where I am and where I'm going. Strava.

I'm using Endomondo with some friends for the National Bike Challenge so I just export tracks to it to raise points for my team. Nothing seems any better on Endomondo than Strava. Seems like more of my bike-commuter fiends use Endomondo and bike-racer friends use Strava.

The news feed is better in Strava IMO. You can see where your friends are riding, not just how far they rode like in Endomondo. And segments kick ass for personal motivation on terrible climbs.

I don't get the Strava hate. I got neg repped for embedding a ride from there. I also use different options depending on what I'm doing, and Strava is only one of them.

even Garmin Connect has taken a page from Strava's book lately. I have a few friends who use that site, and I like that it is conducive to giving each other encouragement.

mtbr member
    I have been using Strava since may. It like how it works as I can log my rides and compare segments on one ride to another. This allows me to track my progress vs myself and comapre vs other riders. When I ride I just set my blackberrry to log with GPS logger. That as a free app and the nice part is that I have it set to auto send position updates to my wife. So if I am cell range she will know where I am every 30 mintues. She will also get an alert If I don't move for 60 minutes. Nice for solo rides. Anyway when I am done I go home and download to Strava the GPS logger track. Works just fine and it cost me nothing.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast