When using my mobile device as a GPD, I prefer

• Endomondo

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • Strava

Votes: 74 68.5%

endomondo vs Strava

31K views 38 replies 24 participants last post by  Gundam168 
#1 ·
I'm far from a weight-weenie stat geek. Just like to log my miles. Endomondo has been working great here in Moab even without cell service. I keep hearing about Strava. Are there any advantages to switching?

#24 ·
I don't get the Strava hate. I got neg repped for embedding a ride from there. I also use different options depending on what I'm doing, and Strava is only one of them.

even Garmin Connect has taken a page from Strava's book lately. I have a few friends who use that site, and I like that it is conducive to giving each other encouragement.

#2 ·
I use Endomondo on my BB for live tracking on some rides so selected people can see where I am. And the endomondo tracklog is a backup in case something goes amiss with the Garmin log.

I use Strava for my Edge500 output, because..... it makes every ride a race?

If that doesn't sound like an advantage to you, it's probably not work switching just to log miles.

#8 ·
I love Strava. I'd disagree with the opinion above that it turns everything into a race if you're able to see someone going faster than you and not immediately want to beat them!

I'm not really competitive - instead, I have a few friends on there and really enjoy seeing how they're doing and I really like Strava's interface and presentation.

#10 ·
why on earth would you do that unless you're testing? it's going to eat your battery.

I really don't see much of a point to the basic upload sites/phone apps that don't do anything special. The market is so completely saturated by these that you really need to differentiate yourself. Strava has done that with its segments and onsite social interface, IMO. I don't use their phone app, but I do upload my rides there on occasion for the segments and the competition. The competition here isn't all that stiff, and I'm fairly slow. But I figure just by contributing I am adding to the competition.

My ride yesterday was primarily focused on beating a guy who has the Strava KOM on a particular segment. I came within 4sec of his time. I don't always try for the segments, but doing so occasionally gives me a goal to work on and varies my rides. But considering how close I am, my next ride out there will also be focused on claiming the KOM for that climb. Now, that other guy has noticed my attempts so MAYBE he'll get out there and try to keep his KOM. That would be fine by me. At least there'd be a little friendly competition...because I almost never see other riders out there.

Endomondo? Why? What does it have that others don't aside from a phone app that looks nice?

#18 ·
I've recently noticed many improvements to the app and website for Strava since the last time I looked at each, over a year ago when I signed up. The app is considerably improved since and the website is much easier to navigate. I'm updating my vote to Strava now, especially since that's where the riding crowd I know is at.

#23 ·
If I'm riding somewhere and might get lost, MyTracks and then export the track to Strava later.

If I'm riding around town and know where I am and where I'm going. Strava.

I'm using Endomondo with some friends for the National Bike Challenge so I just export tracks to it to raise points for my team. Nothing seems any better on Endomondo than Strava. Seems like more of my bike-commuter fiends use Endomondo and bike-racer friends use Strava.

The news feed is better in Strava IMO. You can see where your friends are riding, not just how far they rode like in Endomondo. And segments kick ass for personal motivation on terrible climbs.

#25 ·
I have been using Strava since may. It like how it works as I can log my rides and compare segments on one ride to another. This allows me to track my progress vs myself and comapre vs other riders. When I ride I just set my blackberrry to log with GPS logger. That as a free app and the nice part is that I have it set to auto send position updates to my wife. So if I am cell range she will know where I am every 30 mintues. She will also get an alert If I don't move for 60 minutes. Nice for solo rides. Anyway when I am done I go home and download to Strava the GPS logger track. Works just fine and it cost me nothing.

#26 ·
I like Strava for seeing my own times on segments but I do all my tracking with MotionX GPS. MotionX uses opencycle maps so it shows specific bike paths and trails as well as bike friendly roads. I then just upload those tracks to Strava.

I liked Endomondo but the challenges where kind of stupid and a little unfair. I know it's all for fun, but with the challenges you get more entries into a lottery based on how many miles you have towards that challenge and the MTB challenges had people tracking 30-50 miles/day on roads with people calling it mountain biking... I know it's annoyingly competitive on my part I just have a thing for really disliking poorly thought out games/systems/competitions so I couldn't stomach it.

Strava has definitely been a factor in improving my riding and fitness as I do work harder to get better times and since I've been interesting in racing it's nice to go and ride the race loops that people are tracking and see how I fit in.

#28 ·
I started using Endomondo and like the music playlist integration and the 'pep' talk/1km interval timing notifications but then I discovered Strava...Strava's climbing algorithm is hopelessly over optomistic but feeds my ego:

Wow, did I really climb 2656 metres on my last ride??? :thumbsup:

#31 ·
...Strava's climbing algorithm is hopelessly over optomistic but feeds my ego:

Wow, did I really climb 2656 metres on my last ride??? :thumbsup:
funny, last weekend I did two days riding in the Alps using the Strava & My Tracks apps, the results were interesting:
Day 1
Strava: 46.3kms, 2291m elevation gain
My Tracks: 47.2kms, 2752m elevation gain

Day 2
Strava: 43.7kms, 1876m elevation gain
My Tracks: 45kms, 1841m elevation gain

Day 1 elevation results are quite different, but otherwise they match up ok.
(and they didnt kill my phone battery, even with taking about 30 photos)

#32 ·
i like strava cause i am only going to upload my data to one place and it works great i think. it is great to keep in contact with your friends that work out that you actually don't get to ride with all the time and i find it to be a pretty usefull training tool when looking at all the data. i have changed my tune about segments and now i think a little bit about how safe the one i am picking will be. i.e. does it go through stop lights and stuff like that.

#36 ·
Thanks Jwind. If I see the above screen print correctly, you have to be logged into the Edmondo web site to get elevation data?

Well then, I'll revise my statement to: I like Strava better because all the data I need, including the elevation data, is provided in-app and available immediately after the ride for after ride bragging/complaining with the guy's I went riding with.

Is elevation data available from with-in the Edmondo App? I couldn't find it :madman:. (I'm not the type to log on to either Stava or Edmondo. I just want the ride statisitics from with-in the app)

#37 ·
Thanks Jwind. If I see the above screen print correctly, you have to be logged into the Edmondo web site to get elevation data?

Well then, I'll revise my statement to: I like Strava better because all the data I need, including the elevation data, is provided in-app and available immediately after the ride for after ride bragging/complaining with the guy's I went riding with.

Is elevation data available from with-in the Edmondo App? I couldn't find it :madman:. (I'm not the type to log on to either Stava or Edmondo. I just want the ride statisitics from with-in the app)
I haven't used the app in a while. I just use Strava now. Rarely 'race' my 33lb coiled bike :p, but like to keep a log of miles. And yes, it did show all the same data, if not more in the iphone at least...

#38 ·
Digging up an old post but thought it is worth mentioning: Endomondo does has elevation "in-app". It did not in the past, but Strava did and caused me to run both apps back then because Endo has a free HR tracking feature, Strava did/does not (at least then).

I've been running Endomondo now for a year, and I hate to loose my stats by switching to Strava for the better (more users) ride logs. I think I'll just run both this year and make a decision which is better for me at the end of the season. Running both really doesn't hog battery life all that much as I remember.

#39 ·
I used to be an Endomondo user before and logged in 300+ rides on it but ever since they changed the display of their online portal, I left them for EveryTrail. Now I'm using Strava and EveryTrail alternately but I'm using Strava for my everyday rides.

I had a regular riding buddy for a year now and we somehow went our separate ways because I wanted to go faster and farther but he seemed content with the usual routes and the usual pace. I used Strava when I went solo and would always find several segments in my usual route and would always aim to do a PR if KOM is impossible. After a month, my riding buddy and I rode again together, and now he had difficulty keeping pace with me so I end up waiting for him in several junctions of our route.

For sight seeing rides, I still use EveryTrail though I'm currently evaluating AboveRoad as an alternative to EveryTrail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.