Rip 9
    Mar 2007

Edge 800 with Tate Labs Barfly mount on Rip 9

Just in case any one was wondering how the Barfly Mount looks on a MTB with an Edge 800. So far it's been a much more solid mount, and I like the way it's positioned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Edge 800 with Tate Labs Barfly mount on Rip 9-p1040238.jpg  

Edge 800 with Tate Labs Barfly mount on Rip 9-p1040237.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting this.
    -boom

More Torque
    Good stuff...thx.

-D

Rip 9
    Mar 2007
    FYI the mount stretches over the bar so you don't have to remove your grip, brake lever, and shifter.

mtbr member
    So if I mounted it backwards........
    Have you tried it?
    I don't like it sticking out front like that.

Sent using BOTH my thumbs

Rip 9
    Mar 2007
    Haven't tried it backwards, will have to do that and see.

mtbr member
    Nice!
    How do you like the 800???

Rip 9
    Mar 2007
    Here the Barfly is as close as possible to center where I can still spin the Edge 800 on and off. It would probably work better with a smaller unit. I also tried this mount

Paul Component Engineering - Stem Cap Light Mount

from Paul Components, and found the round section is to narrow for the stock Edge quarter turn mount. I'd like someone to make an aluminum stem cap that uses the Garmin quarter turn mount. Then you could run a short stem and have the GPS solidly attached front and center.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Edge 800 with Tate Labs Barfly mount on Rip 9-p1040245.jpg  

Rip 9
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmmagoo4 View Post
    Nice!
    How do you like the 800???
    I live in South America and employment moves us to a new country every couple years, and I have the absolute worst sense of direction and crappy spanish. So for me it's pretty much a must have. You can load any route you can find on the web, as well as sat photos and the standard maps. If you have no idea if a dirt road, path, farm access, or trail goes you can often zoom in and see or find a way to bail. If I was still in the US I would have saved the cash and gone with a basic GPS and a phone with some sort of mapping option. But off of that tangent, mine is responsive, super accurate, and the battery goes all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Landcruiserclimbs View Post
    Here the Barfly is as close as possible to center where I can still spin the Edge 800 on and off. It would probably work better with a smaller unit. I also tried this mount

Paul Component Engineering - Stem Cap Light Mount

from Paul Components, and found the round section is to narrow for the stock Edge quarter turn mount. I'd like someone to make an aluminum stem cap that uses the Garmin quarter turn mount. Then you could run a short stem and have the GPS solidly attached front and center.
    I have that Paul Components mount, too. Tried it for my Oregon and it's also too narrow. The mount for the Oregon is even more limited for stem length. I have a 90mm stem and I don't think it'd work with a shorter one. It does work well for my Magicshine light on my commuter, though.

Nickel Havr
    I run a PurelyCustom.com mount and like the setup...
    https://www.purelycustom.com/c-82-accessory-mounts.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

Rip 9
    Mar 2007
    Nice, it looks like the width is perfect for the stock mount.

Nickel Havr
    Quote Originally Posted by Landcruiserclimbs View Post
    Nice, it looks like the width is perfect for the stock mount.
    Yeah its pretty good!
    It survived a heavy crash where my bike was bouncing ,end over end, through a rock garden...
    And PurelyCustom is a great company...
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .