Ride More, Whine Less

Edge 800 closeout?

I've noticed many retailers have the Edge 800 bundle down to $499. Even my local bike shop had it at that price. I've done some searching to see if a new model is waiting in the wings. I can't seem to find anything. Has anyone found/heard something that might suggest a replacement over winter to spring?

there are rumors of a successor.

sorry for the crap link.
    Last edited by NateHawk; 12-01-2012 at 08:49 AM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    The Edge 900 is on the way. Looks like mostly incremental improvements, though.

Garmin Edge 900 review | BlitzReview
    That is a bizarre review with little substance.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    That is a bizarre review with little substance.
    Agree, I don't get the impression they've actually seen one, they're just guessing. Ask yourself why would an outfit like that be chosen by Garmin to pre-launch their new flagship product when nobody else in the industry has even had a whiff of it?

Sites like that just write this speculative drivel to drive traffic to their pages so they can sell advertisng space.

sorry for the garbage link, guys. I was mobile with tapatalk, which is not conducive to tracking down the best information. it appears the information in the previous link was based on the speculation here:

Garmin Edge 900 GPS Cycle Computer: Things We'd Like To See - BikeRadar

you'll see a lot of eerie similarities between the two, but none of it is concrete.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    sorry for the garbage link, guys. I was mobile with tapatalk, which is not conducive to tracking down the best information. it appears the information in the previous link was based on the speculation here:

Garmin Edge 900 GPS Cycle Computer: Things We'd Like To See - BikeRadar

you'll see a lot of eerie similarities between the two, but none of it is concrete.
    I would say they just ripped off the bikeradar article including the pic.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Ride More, Whine Less
    Maybe an official Garmin announcement will come after Christmas time as I think there is a major sell down going on. I'm tempted to pull the trigger but I might wait on my REI awards.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You can use the reimbursement dollars,but REI always excludes the GPSs from the 20% off coupon.

Dont the tech companies usually do their releases before Christmas instead of after??

Garmin has been known to release stuff year-round.

However I wouldn't expect any releases to come until Springtime. In January, many shops struggle not to go negative with the Christmas returns, but there is at least gift card traffic, and February is just dead.

mtnbkr4life
    Nov 2008

Garmin Edge 800 Deal

Online bike shop, buy online bikes & cycling equipment
    Edge 800 black and white
    GPS only
    NIB $352.19 to my door

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
    Online bike shop, buy online bikes & cycling equipment
    Edge 800 black and white
    GPS only
    NIB $352.19 to my door
    Also type in EBATES5 for 5% off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Wow! getting really cheap. Must be new tech coming. Is there any way to find out what the new product is so we can decide whether to jump on this or wait?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    GPS TrackLog posted this on December 14th. So we know something is coming, and we know its got Bluetooth, but not a heck of a lot more than that.

New Garmin Edge with Bluetooth hits the FCC

mtbr member
    I bought my Garmin 800 bundle from bike-discount.de about 4 months ago. The price now is 379.97 plus shipping (it cost me approx. 23.00 to get it shipped over to the US, and in 4 days no less). This bundle does not include the street maps, but I didn't need them anyway. I use open source maps, or create my own custom maps.

Just thought I would post this in case anyone was interested. On a side note, when you go to their site, it isn't easy to find the Garmin 800, but they are there.
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member

Ride More, Whine Less
    Excellent find. There is a 510 that looks very sweet also.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthMTB View Post
    Not quite a quantum leap. But interesting. The live tracking thing would be great for us solo riders, and it would be fun if you could get your racer to drag all that gear a long so you could follow them on the course, but that's not likely to happen.

On the whole I think saving a couple hundred bucks and getting the old tech sounds pretty reasonable. Time to start hunting a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    Not quite a quantum leap. But interesting. The live tracking thing would be great for us solo riders, and it would be fun if you could get your racer to drag all that gear a long so you could follow them on the course, but that's not likely to happen.

On the whole I think saving a couple hundred bucks and getting the old tech sounds pretty reasonable. Time to start hunting a deal.
    I wouldn't count on too much. These are improvements over the older ones and are likewise priced higher, so I doubt we will see huge closeouts across the board. Probably the occasional deep sale like we've been seeing from time to time already.