mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Edge 705. Would you buy it again?

For those of you who have the new Edge 705, would you purchase it again?

I understand there are some bugs to be fixed and it sounds as if they are addressing them. But are you happy enough with it to reccomend it?

Also, how many bike profiles can it accommodate? The website doesn't have this info. I've heard that you can have at least two, but I'm looking to use it on 3 different bikes.

Thank you

Hack Racer
    3 different bike profiles.

Yes I would buy it again. But I would search harder for a better deal than pay MSRP

My other ride is your mom
    I've had mine for 2 months now....if you'd asked me prior to a week ago...I would have said no to your question. However, since I've discovered TopoFusion, a free download, and MapSource (another free download and owned by Garmin...but not heavily advertised); my answer to your question is yes. Learn to use these two programs and the 705's potential will become apparent. Without them...and you have a really expensive, limited GPS bike computer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    I've had mine for 2 months now....if you'd asked me prior to a week ago...I would have said no to your question. However, since I've discovered TopoFusion, a free download, and MapSource (another free download and owned by Garmin...but not heavily advertised); my answer to your question is yes. Learn to use these two programs and the 705's potential will become apparent. Without them...and you have a really expensive, limited GPS bike computer.

Can you do that same stuff on the applications TopoFusion and MapSource, with the 305 that you can do with the 705. Do you need to buy such an expensive device if you are just uploading data to your computer?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I thought MapSource was purchase only maps from Garmin and the free TopoFusion demo is limited data?

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Resist
    I thought MapSource was purchase only maps from Garmin and the free TopoFusion demo is limited data?
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ils.jsp?id=209
    Mapsource is free and the application for uploading and downloading waypoints, tracks, etc. It is the front end that integrates Topo and City Nav if you have them.

TopoFusion is complete, but overlays the word "Demo" on some tiles.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    FROM THE GARMIN WEBSITE LISTED ABOVE:

WARNING: This software will not work unless you already own a MapSource product.

does the basemap of what comes on the 705 count??

trail rat
    Well, my original Mapsource came with my 60CSx about 3-4 years ago and included the Trip and Waypoint Manager and Basemap. I used it this way for about a month until I figured out what maps I needed. I have upgraded it many times, and have Topo and City Nav.

When I got my 305, and loaded the GTC, it integrated all the Mapsource features as well. Maybe they made changes that it needs a purchased product now. Mine first version did not.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers!
    3 different bike profiles.

Yes I would buy it again. But I would search harder for a better deal than pay MSRP

Frankly, your search was EASY! LOL!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    I bought a 305 back in February of 2006. It changed my life - literally. I saw the potential of the little bugger after using it and GeoMan Gear was born.

I have a 705 now and wouldn't trade it for the world. For me it is the perfect meld between a mapping GPS and a cycling computer - in color!

Maadjurguer makes a very good point. The 705 requires a modest front-end commitment in order to realize its true potential. Like Resist (who has done his homework), it takes a little effort but it is worth it, IMHO.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    I bought a 305 back in February of 2006. It changed my life - literally. I saw the potential of the little bugger after using it and GeoMan Gear was born.

I have a 705 now and wouldn't trade it for the world. For me it is the perfect meld between a mapping GPS and a cycling computer - in color!

Maadjurguer makes a very good point. The 705 requires a modest front-end commitment in order to realize its true potential. Like Resist (who has done his homework), it takes a little effort but it is worth it, IMHO.
    To get the full potential of the edge 705 would you recommend to buy the SD card with the city / street maps?

Is there a link or a website that has some information on what you can do with the hardware and software?
    Last edited by zariaman; 09-11-2008 at 07:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Yes I would. I replaced the 205 with the 705 and it has been great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I would buy the 705 again if the price dropped significantly.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    What are the current price ranges for a 705? Can the 705 HRM chest strap run wirelessly? I'm interested- but the $500 price seems a bit steep....even though this gadget is packed with features. Are the cadence and power output features accurate?
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

GeoMan
    I ride with the 705 HR + CAD ($455 at www.geomangear.com).

The HRM and Cadence are wireless and accurate. I LOVE mine.
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    I ride with the 705 HR + CAD ($455 at www.geomangear.com).

The HRM and Cadence are wireless and accurate. I LOVE mine.
    How many sensors, and where do they mount? I'm a weight weenie and .....
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    While I have the cadence sensor, I never installed it because the 705 works great without it for speed info just using sat. But if you really need it, it uses a magnetic pickup. Everything is wireless, think polar watch strap for the HR. Geoman gave me a great deal and when prices get even better I will be purchasing another 705 for my gal.