mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Edge 705 - what "raw data" is available from it?

I'm considering an Edge 705 to replace my ancient Polar HRM, but I can't find any info on the raw data that is (or isn't) available from the 705. What I've been doing for years now is downloading the data from the Polar, which records HR, speed, cadence every 5 sec during a ride. I then load that data into an Excel spreadsheet I set up to do calculations and graphs. I'd like to be able to do the same thing with the 705, but it looks like I can only get HR, speed, and cadence averages for laps, but not a "sample" every few seconds or so. Is there a way to get this kind of data from the 705? Thanks!

My other ride is your mom
    you can export the history file out of the unit....it defaults to a garmin format (.tcx). When you have saved this onto your HD, you can open as an .xml...I just did it and was able to view my HR data as well as coords, distance and all that other stuff you were asking about.

Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
    Aug 2005
    Yep, what he said.

In addition, by default the 705 uses "smart recording", meaning a data slice is taken every time something changes. This gives about a 12 hour memory capacity. You can also set it to record every second, and that cuts the memory capacity down to about 4.5 hours.

TopoFusion supports the .tcx file format. WKO+ supports the .tcx format also, indirectly anyway - drag/drop to wko to get your training data in a legible format.
    Dave

Anything is possible. The impossible just takes longer.

2 Epic