mtbr member

Edge 705 What Am I Missing???

Just Bought my 705 today and am trying to load local rides in gpx format on to the unit. I am putting the GPX files in the GPX folder on the edge, but then when I disconnect and look for them under "saved rides it says it is empty" What am I doing wrong, or what am I missing???

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I'm pretty sure you need to load them as Courses, via Training Center, or TopoFusion, or after converting them to TCX files by way of gpsbabel (then stuffing them into the Courses folder).

The Edge doesn't work like the Colorado/Oregon units as far as that goes.

Maybe somebody else can point out what the GPX folder is for. The manual only states "Waypoints and Saved Rides" but doesn't give any more details. *sigh*

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I'll keep playing with it. Any other ideas would be great. Thanks.

g3h6o3
    I've tried this once. Putting a GPX file in the GPX folder made the ride appear on the unit. I never tried doing the ride though. Do you have the latest firmware?
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I had a similar problem, it let me transfer 1 file but not any more than that. I never really found a perfect solution but if you want, take a look at this thread I made over at mtbbritain explaining some of the different things I tried when learning my 705:

http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/forum/in...showtopic=9063

2nd post down is what you may be interested in, I hope it helps.

My other ride is your mom
    I never manually place files onto the Edge's file structure with the exception of .tcx files (history files)...and then, only after correcting elevation data via TopoFusion. In all other cases, I use the export to unit button within Garmin's software (Training Center or MapSource....prefer Mapsource) to get saved rides (maps and tracks) into the unit. For months, I was just using the Training Center and having to manually manipulate files, massage them into a .tcx format and then ingest...since using Mapsourse by Garmin and TopoFusion...my world is a lot happier.