mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Edge 705 vs Colorado 400t

Trying to decide between the two models. I know the Colorado is slightly bigger and will work with the Heart rate and cadence sensors. There is also handlerbar mount available for the Colorado. Haven't been able to make a comparison of features. It makes sense to me to go with the Colorado since it isn't solely for use on a bike like the 705. Has anyone made this comparison? Any thoughts on the disadvantages of going with the Colorado?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Try looking at the Yahoo groups for info. Here's one for the Colorado

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GarminColoradoGPS/

mtbr member
    A few folks I know had been eagerly waiting on the Colorado. Several of us are currently using edge 305s and one an ancient handheld (by ancient I mean his screen is dot matrix =)) For most with the 305s the upgrade to the 705 doesn't make sense because the additional features vs the additional cost just didn't add up. The Colorado still has a considerable list of bugs and issues which also scared most of us away. In the end most are sticking with the 305s until they work the bugs out of the colorado and a couple went ahead and opted for the etrex vistas.

Hack Racer
    I went from the 305 to the 705. I feel it is a great improvement. I managed to sell my old 305 unit, albeit for 50% of the current MSRP... In the end I was glad. The new unit does a lot. The key feature I was looking for that lacked in the edge 305 was mapping. Now I feel much more comfortable just going out and exploring. With the old Edge 305 I still carried a map around with me (topo, or road map if on road bike).

Does the colorado do datalogging of your speed, cadence, heart rate, elevation gain like the Edge series models? That is what I would be most curious to know. We all know they (edge 705 and colorado) do mapping, but the question is what datalog is done via the colorado. Next question is that does both units display the same amount of detail on teh screen? I woudl think so... but I'm not sure.

One side note, you can not use a 4 GB microSD in the edge 705. I found out the hard way today. I bought one, put it in, and the unit doesn't like it. With a 2GB microSD card it works fine.

GPS_dr
    The Colorado does log the HRM, temp etc in the tracklog.
    It only displays current values on the unit.
    Doesn't have training partner stuff etc.
    I had the Edge 705 on order, but had them swap it for the Colorado 400t.
    I wasn't into the training aspects of the 705, would like to be able to see HRM history etc on unit.
    Current software (Garmin & others) doesn't seem to support showing the data from it yet.
    Still trying to convince Garmin that it really needs to display more than one tracklog at a time.
    It does have a nice high resolution display, but it isn't as readable as my 76CSX.
    2,000+ miles free Colorado FrontRange GPS enabled bike trails w/map overlays.
    View network via GoogleEarth @ GeoBiking.org

Hack Racer
    Can you download your track log onto garmin's training center and motionbased.com? I bought the edge 705 because the intended purpose for me was for cycling. I'm not realizing I can use it a bit for car stuff if I find better detailed maps.