mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Edge 705 versus 60CSx

I currently own the 60CSx and really like it. I use it mainly to record my tracks and then load them into Mapsource on my PC and into Bobcat on my MAC. I recently got into Road biking and was thinking of picking up the Edge 705. I have been keeping my 60CSx tucked into a pocket and secured by a carabiner (sp) into my camelback. Since I am exploring new roads on the road bike, it has become a pain to stop and take off the camelback at times to check out a road intersection I am not sure about. The 705 mounted on the stem would help with that problem. Plus it will give me a couple more options to use on the road. My question is this, would I still be able to upload my tracks into Mapsource and Bobcat as I did with my 60CSx. I haven't been able to see anywhere that the 705 use track logs, although I do see something about history. I also see the new Oregon series is coming August 1, so I may consider that instead of the 705 as long as I can mount it on the stem. Thanks for your help! Kevin

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by kevindef
    My question is this, would I still be able to upload my tracks into Mapsource and Bobcat as I did with my 60CSx.

I also see the new Oregon series is coming August 1, so I may consider that instead of the 705 as long as I can mount it on the stem. Thanks for your help! Kevin
    Greetings Kevin!

Don't you love the 60CSX? Rightfully so, it is one of the greatest Garmin handhelds of all time.

Yes, the 705 will upload just fine.

The other issue you are describing is one of "form factor". The 705 and 60CSx each do some things "better" than the other. You can't really take the 705 hiking comfortably. There's no provision for carrying it in your hand or for attaching it to your pack. It is a cycling computer with mapping GPS. And it does this very well - much better than the Colorado or Oregon series. It is not a good hiking tool...

On the other hand, the 60CSx will often suffer from "battery bounce" when mounted on a mountain bike bar and ridden down a rough downhill. It is large and obtrusive on the bar. It is heavy. It is not a very good cycling tool. As I look at the Oregon series, I see an "iPhone-ish" look and design. I don't think they are going to be very tough and sturdy - something you might wish for on your bike.

That being said, I have the luxury of running the 60CSx, Oregon (as available), Colorado and an Edge 705. Frankly, I no longer need the handhelds for cycling now that I have the Edge 705... It fulfills the mapping function the Edge 305 didn't have. It is a great fitness tool. Would I take the 705 hiking? Not unless I had to.

I'm not sure the Oregon would give you much advantage over your 60CSx. I doubt it to be as rugged, certainly.

Quandary? You bet! That's what makes Garmin so successful.

We're here to help.

GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kevindef
    I currently own the 60CSx and really like it. I use it mainly to record my tracks and then load them into Mapsource on my PC and into Bobcat on my MAC. I recently got into Road biking and was thinking of picking up the Edge 705. I have been keeping my 60CSx tucked into a pocket and secured by a carabiner (sp) into my camelback. Since I am exploring new roads on the road bike, it has become a pain to stop and take off the camelback at times to check out a road intersection I am not sure about. The 705 mounted on the stem would help with that problem. Plus it will give me a couple more options to use on the road. My question is this, would I still be able to upload my tracks into Mapsource and Bobcat as I did with my 60CSx. I haven't been able to see anywhere that the 705 use track logs, although I do see something about history. I also see the new Oregon series is coming August 1, so I may consider that instead of the 705 as long as I can mount it on the stem. Thanks for your help! Kevin
    No sure I understand your specific problem here. Are you saying that the reason you may swap out your 60CSX is that you do not like taking it out of your bag to look at it? Why not just get a bar mount? I use mine as a street GPS all the time.

mtbr member
    removed
    Last edited by dnoyeb; 07-27-2008 at 05:52 PM.