mtbr member
    May 2008

Edge 705 - Upload & Download rides???

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting the 705 with SD and Cadence. Main reason would be to upload and download local rides, and keep track of my ride information. My questions are how do you like the 705 if you have one and have you uploaded or downloaded rides and if so, where (website??) do you download other trails?

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Motionbased

I download rides and follow them with my edge 305 pretty often. I use www.motionbased.com. I have been reading here that motionbased is being killed in favor of garminconnect.com, but I have not seen that site as of yet.
    The worst part about edges is getting the files into the .crs format to be able to follow them. I use a website (www.utahmountainbiking.com) what has GPS files of lots of local rides in the .gpx format. It seems like it only converts successfuly like 7 of 10 times. I use www.gpsies.com to convert. Motionbased lets you download directly in the .crs format which is why I look there first.
    So while you can download and follow rides with and edge the process is not really user friendly. Be prepared to spend some time in front of your PC playing with file extensions, and looking for a way that will work. Hopefully garminconnect will improve the user friendlyness of the process and make it a single click. You can do it, but I would not call it easy.
    For keeping track of ride information like speed, distance, climbing, HR etc I have never had a better computer then the edge. I love not dealing with spoke magnets.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    I use a 705 in combination with Ascent, which is a Mac-based app that keep track of all your rides, weekly/monthly/yearly totals, and links to Google Maps so you can graphically see where you have been. Graph against HR, cadence, speed, etc data. In other words, if you want to, you can spend as much time analyzing your rides as you actually did riding them. I know there are similar Windows apps that do he same. Garmin has one bundled with the device, but the 3rd party stuff is a little better, IMHO.

http://www.montebellosoftware.com/index.html