Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Edge 705 - Road & Mountain Use

Okay, so I think I'm about to pick up a 705. Intended use is more or less as follows:

Road Bike: Need good maps (of roads) so I can do longer unfamiliar routes without getting lost. I envision both downloading routes others have done and building some of my own on the computer. Heart rate & cadence are quite important to me on the road bike.

Mountain Bike: Primary use will be just grabbing maps of unfamiliar trails / trail networks so I don't get lost. Don't really care as much about heart rate (and not at all about cadence) on the MTB.

So, those are the intended uses. What bundle and / or what additional pieces parts do I need to purchase to get everything I list above to work with little to no fuss?

Also, as an aside, would the 705 work on my road bike whilst on the trainer? Not that I'm so concerned about getting lost (though I suppose that could happen), but heart rate & cadence would be most excellent on the trainer.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I have been researching a 705 for approx 3 weeks. For what you mentioned I would suggest the navigator package. Comes with heart rate sensor, cadence sensor, and SD card with pre loaded street maps on it. I have heard the TOPO maps are not that great. Although pricey at 649.00 SRP.

Geo man is awesome and has answered every question i have had. Talk to him.

If you do a quick search you will see people have actually rigged up the cadence sensor to work on a treadmill!!!!! So i think integrating it to your trainer would not be that big of a deal.

I wish i could tell you more, but im pretty much in the same boat you are.
    I will never forget my fallen brothers 03-07-08
    Isler and Monroe R.I.P.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by architectx
    Okay, so I think I'm about to pick up a 705. Intended use is more or less as follows:

Road Bike: Need good maps (of roads) so I can do longer unfamiliar routes without getting lost. I envision both downloading routes others have done and building some of my own on the computer. Heart rate & cadence are quite important to me on the road bike.

Mountain Bike: Primary use will be just grabbing maps of unfamiliar trails / trail networks so I don't get lost. Don't really care as much about heart rate (and not at all about cadence) on the MTB.

So, those are the intended uses. What bundle and / or what additional pieces parts do I need to purchase to get everything I list above to work with little to no fuss?

Also, as an aside, would the 705 work on my road bike whilst on the trainer? Not that I'm so concerned about getting lost (though I suppose that could happen), but heart rate & cadence would be most excellent on the trainer.

Thanks!
    The speed/cadence sensor is for use on a trainer or rollers.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The 705 also allows you to turn off the GPS for riding on a trainer, and uses exclusively the speed/cadence sensor for speed/distance information in that case. This saves battery life. Garmin designed the 705 to work indoors stationary and outdoors. GREAT Product. Check out GEOman's prices for the bundle. Although iI discovered him a little too late for my purchase, my next unit will be purchased through him...I paid 560 for my bundle...seems he had it 25 bucks cheaper..BUT DONT QUOTE ME on that, check his website.

Hack Racer
    The edge705 is amazing.

I have the following mapsets:
    -Garmin City Navigator North America 2009
    -Garmin City Navigator Europe 2008
    -Ibycus Topo Canada
    -Garmin Americas BlueCharts 9.5

-blue charts for lake depth contours for fishing
    -City navigators for driving around and road cycling
    -Topo maps for Mountain biking, hiking, hunting and snow shoeing
    -I download course maps off of motionbased.com for new trials and locations on the mountain bike I have not ridden before
    -I use it for training on both the road and mountain bike to record heart rate, distance, cadence and elevation

The only function I have yet to use is the ANT+ communication with a powertap hub. Maybe one day I will splurge for one.

So far I love this Unit. I've even used it to take a trip from Toronto, Ontario, Canada to Halifax Nova Scotia. Then I went from Nova Scotia to Boston, MA, and then back to Canada. All hotels and restaurants found via the unit and my cell phone calling ahead. It's awesome. Even better than a car based GPS like a Garmin NUVI 760. The battery lasts a long time too. But if you are doing a week long excusion on the deep woods and this is your primary source of navigation with the old school TOPO map and compass as backup, I only turn it off and on every 30 mins or at critical junctions and mainly rely on the old school map.

You can extend the time your Garmin has power by buying a power pack like this:

or haul around something like this:

I have a 2GB microSD card. 2GB is the max size card you can use. Note the more stuff you have in the mapset you generate in Mapsource the longer it takes for your edge 705 unit to boot up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Alright, thanks for all of the replies. Looks like the unit will do everything I need.

The only question I have left is the maps. I guess I need to go ahead and purchase the City Navigator for road riding purposes, right? I'm also getting the impression that the topo maps aren't so good, and that I'll likely be relying on building my own maps OR downloading maps others have made for the mountain bike. Do I have this right?

Thanks again.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    You'll need City Navigator for road riding, the Topo maps are ok, but you can't just overlay trail networks onto the map. You download the route someone else has ridden and follow it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    So, the "basemaps" that come on the 705...

What are they for?

I'm less concerned with points of interest, restaurants, etc. - but I do need roads. Are the base maps adequate or do I really need to spend another $100 or so to get the City Navigator? (I'm guessing I do, but I'm confused as to why Garmin would sell a relatively high end GPS without maps...)

Thanks.

Hack Racer
    So, the "basemaps" that come on the 705...

What are they for?

I'm less concerned with points of interest, restaurants, etc. - but I do need roads. Are the base maps adequate or do I really need to spend another $100 or so to get the City Navigator? (I'm guessing I do, but I'm confused as to why Garmin would sell a relatively high end GPS without maps...)

Thanks.
    The base maps are for novelty. They are pretty useless.

To answer your question on if you need to buy the maps or not depends on how computer literate you are and how resourceful you are on the internet.

Like I always say, you can find anything and everything on the internet, you just gotta know where to look.

trail rat
    Check out GPS File Depot - there are free maps of many areas, both topo and city, like Ibycus. I have City Nav from Garmin and it does points of interest, etc., but Ibycus is great for just roads, and very up to date. I also have the free CA 20' contour topo, and it is incredible. Looks like 705 has it all, and I have made numerous purchased from GeoMan, and highly recommend you go to him.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    thanks again folks.

I'm wanting to purchase from GeoMan (got my Lupine setup from him, more than happy with the service, price, etc.). Trouble is, I'm not spotting the bundle with the maps, cadence, etc. I could have sworn I saw it the other day. Am I just blind at this point? Anyone have a link?

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Plenty of free maps linked here, often at greater detail than those from Garmin:
    http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/

mtbr member

Can't open the Ibycus

I've bought my unit (a 605, I don't care about cadence and heart rate) and I'm looking at maps for the Washington DC area. I was shocked to discover that the Topo map doesn't have the Rock Creek Bike trail on it. But city navigator does! So I'm probably gonna go with that. But I'd really like to get Ibycus to open up before I spend my money.

I get a message saying that I don't have a program that will open it and if I click the search web option, nothing comes up.

Any ideas how to get it to open?

Thanks
    c

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by commutergrl
    I get a message saying that I don't have a program that will open it and if I click the search web option, nothing comes up.

Any ideas how to get it to open?

Thanks
    c
    Get MapSource, and maybe GTC at GPS File Depot. There is a tutorial there as well.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member

figured it out, with help from Geoman, of course

I have no idea why mapsource wouldn't open properly before but I did manage to get to the tutorial and open Ibycus and transfer it, and the topo map!
    Yeah!

Only to discover that they don't cover the areas that I need particularly well.

Oh well, I'll be twiddling my thumbs waiting for city navigator.

Thanks Slocaus
    c

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have a 705 that i'd like to load some topo maps into. I downloaded training center and mapsource but when i try to open either i get error message "Please re-install UTTOPO" what is that?

jc

Hack Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortechcoupe
    I have a 705 that i'd like to load some topo maps into. I downloaded training center and mapsource but when i try to open either i get error message "Please re-install UTTOPO" what is that?

jc

re-install your TOPO maps. Mapsource is having trouble recognizing it

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i deleted the one texas map i had and it still won't open. As in it won't even open the mapsource or training center programs. i have not used training center with my 705, only a couple times when i had a 305 7-8 months ago. i'll download the texas map again and see. i erased the zip file already doh!!

Hack Racer
    Garmin updated Training Centre and Mapsource a couple of months back (like 7months ago)

Some old maps do not generate/render correctly in the new updates.

I know for a certain Ibycus TopoCanada did not until he released 2.1

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i can understand that certain maps woudn't load but i can't even open mapsource or TC!!! argh!

jc

i was just reading one of your post on WW, small internet world....

Hack Racer
    It is because Mapsource requires all maps to work before it loads up

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    ah crap. i probably have all kinds of maps on my computer that i've tried to use before. i really only use one with my 705 now. a detailed street map on texas, well maybe it's just austin area. i'll try to clean it up. thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Okay, the 705 came today (Thanks GeoMan!).

Question one:

I bought the City Navigator card. Do I need to purchase another (blank) card in order to download maps from GPS File Depot and / or routes from MotionBased? The tutorials I've seen make me think I'll overwrite my purchased maps if I try to install additional info with this card in place.

Secondly:

If my assertion above is correct, is there a way to have multiple maps installed simultaneously (assuming I purchase a new larger card)? If so, is there a simple way to toggle from, say, City Navigator and perhaps the Tennessee Topo maps found on GPS File Depot?

Thanks so much, appreciate everyone's patience.

trail rat
    I just upgraded to a 705, shop owner where I work made me a deal I could not refuse, once he figured out I know so much about the Garmin GPS (he is not in the store, works from corp offices). Sorry GeoMan, but I still love ya and will send all except in my local store business your way.

Anyway, I do not have the Garmin card, but found that I can load my Garmin Topo maps into the main unit, and my CA Topo onto my SD card, and can toggle between them or the basemap only. On my 60CSx, I can load those two and my CityNav maps all at once and the 60 will allow me to use whichever one. The 705 does not know how to view separate maps in one file, so I loaded them to two different places.

So yes, load the Tennessee Topo to one card or it will overwrite the City Nav, and then switch cards. Or load a small segment of the Tennessee Topo to the main unit. MapSource will let you choose where to upload maps on the 705, since it detects both storage areas.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

Hack Racer
    Okay, the 705 came today (Thanks GeoMan!).

Question one:

I bought the City Navigator card. Do I need to purchase another (blank) card in order to download maps from GPS File Depot and / or routes from MotionBased? The tutorials I've seen make me think I'll overwrite my purchased maps if I try to install additional info with this card in place.

Secondly:

If my assertion above is correct, is there a way to have multiple maps installed simultaneously (assuming I purchase a new larger card)? If so, is there a simple way to toggle from, say, City Navigator and perhaps the Tennessee Topo maps found on GPS File Depot?

Thanks so much, appreciate everyone's patience.
    1.) Yes, you need a new card, however I believe the Garmin City Navigator "on the card" is write protected. You can also send maps to the Edge 705's own internal memory which is quite small.

2.) I believe the card is write protected (you should ask Garmin this YMMV). It would have been best if you had purchased the DVD instead. The DVD installs the maps onto your computer. You use Mapsource to select the maps from the various regions, and then across various installed maps on your PC to generate a "mapset". You upload this "mapset" to your garmin edge 705's microSD you purchase separately from the unit.

I'm uncertain if you are able to go backwards (i.e. install Garmin City Navigator onto your PC as you would with teh DVD, but use the Garmin microSD as the source instead of the DVD).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast