mtbr member

Edge 705 personalization?

A local rider lost his Garmin recently and someone posted how to make a 705 display name/phone # when turned on. I tried it toight, and couldn't follow his instructions. I wasn't able to find the startup.txt. Anyone here have any experience with it?

Here are the instructions I downloaded:

--------------

1. Connect the unit to your computer via USB.
    2. Navigate to the files on the internal memory (not the micro SD card, if you have one).
    3. Look for a file called startup.txt
    4. Open the file to edit it, in something like notepad. Whatever you type here will be displayed when the device boots up later.
    Depending on what mapping you’ve got installed, the boot up time can vary. Some people report that it boots up too quickly to read the startup text. Not to worry – you can also include a time delay, just alter the number in the line where it says
    5. Save the file, disconnect from the computer and turn the unit on. Shut it down, then reboot once more.
    You should see your custom startup message.
    Thnaks all

mtbr dismember

Works on 800, not 705

Tried this on both my 800 and 705 and it only works on the 800. There is no startup.txt file on the 705 so I copied the one that worked from my 800 and it did not work. But thanks for the tip on the 800. It works great! Mine is set to display my name, email and phone number for 20 seconds on every start. FYI below is what the startup.txt file looks like. I set display = 20.

<!-- Edit this file to display a message while your unit is powering on --><br /> <!-- Allow one full power cycle after editing for your message to be updated --><br /> <br /> <!-- Set the display number to the minimum number of seconds your message is displayed --><br /> <display = 0><br /> <br /> <!-- Type your message on the next line -->