mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Edge 705 not staying connected to speed/cadence sensor after firmware update?

Hi all-

Wondering if anyone has come across this problem before, or has any ideas? I have a Garmin Edge 705, and use on both a Giant TCR Advanced (with built-in ANT+ compatible speed/cadence sensor) and my On One carbon 29er, with a Garmin speed/cadence sensor.
    I use the Garmin with both an HR sensor (the original that came with it) and the speed/cadence sensors. I was logged onto the Garmin Connect site recently and it recommended I upgrade to the latest firmware, so did so. No idea what I previoulsy had, but the Garmin is now Software version 3.30 and GPS version 2.10

Since the firmware upgrade, the Garmin does not seem to be able to stay "connected" to the speed/cadence sensors for more than about 20 seconds. When I turn it on, it will recognize them and show, for example, cadence - but then the cadence will go to ---- (not zero, meaning it isn't connected). A rescan for accessories will allow it to connect for another 20 seconds or so, then same problem.

I will fully admit the Garmin has seen its fair share of drops to the floor, endos, wrecks, etc so would have just put this down to "one knock too many", except that this only happened when I upgraded the firmware.

Anyone seen this behavior before, or have any ideas? Is it possible to downgrade to previous versions of the firmware, and if so any ideas where to locate?
    Bike race listings from the world
    www.meet4rides.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Interesting I have a garmin 500 with gsc10 and today it started doing the same thing. I updated firmware a while ago and have used many times since with no issues. Same sort of behavior as you describe...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    anytime i've had an issue with Garmin products i've performed a factory default and it fixed the issue:

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/2297_OwnersManual.pdf

as it states it deletes information

1. Turn off the Edge.
    2. Press and hold mode and until the message appears.
    3. Select Yes to clear all user data.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    As a quick update - downgraded to Garmin firmware version 3.1 (from 3.3) and problem solved. Have notified Garmin support about this, but don't expect much as they still haven't replied to/acknowledged my original support email from last week.

In case anyone else has this problem, I was going to post how to do this. Unfortunately, I don't have enough MTBR posts to post the links, but if you Google for "slowtwitch garmin downgrade firmware 3.1" you should find the necessary information.
    Bike race listings from the world
    www.meet4rides.com