Edge 705: Missing Track, but not data???
This may be as simple as a corrupt file, but I thought I'd ask anyway. This past weekend I rode the Coconino 250 in AZ, uploaded my track to Garmin Connect & noticed the track was cutoff just northeast of Flagstaff (Big fat straight line!!). However, I know the 705 was on & recording, because that particular section I was counting down the miles on the course while climbing up FR151. In addition, the total miles recorded is correct with what the full route should have been, 252 miles. The truncated track loaded into Topofusion is around 235 miles.
It's just weird that the distance, elevation gain & time would all be correct, but that section of trail is missing. Any thoughts other than a corrupt file?
<iframe width='465' height='548' frameborder='0' src='http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/233980073'></iframe>
search the device like a disk drive for any auto archived segments. if there's nothing in there, I think your data is trashed by a bug of some kind.
Thanks for the tip Nate, I'll take a look when I get home this afternoon.
Checked for archived files, no luck. Oh well, hopefully this is an isolated incident.
I have heard of it happening. Also check your history. If your history has a lot of activities, that can spur the device to the occasional unpredictable error. When I used an Edge, I tried to keep the history to half a dozen rides or fewer. I do the same with my Forerunner now. I regularly clear out the history.
Originally Posted by freeskier46
Yeah, I was aware of that issue. I too try & keep the history folder cleaned out, I had a clean slate heading into this particular ride. Plus, keeping the rides to a minimum in history makes for a speedier upload to Garmin Connect or whatever the program of choice is.
In the end, I'm just glad the data, i.e. distance & elevation, are what I was expecting for this ride. I can always splice in the correct route for asthetics, but doing that messes with the data. I just like to keep track of my rides for personal goals, etc.
hm, I am not sure what else to suggest. what was your recording interval on that ride? how many track points are in the file you have?
Recording interval was set to record a point when conditions change, not every second. Total track points are 20254.
Upon further inspection of the route & where it flatlined on me, I do recall the 705 resetting on me there. The power cycled, I saw it, stopped, waited for satellites to be found then re-started the timer. Didn't think much of it since this happens on occasion. I also was running an external charger, GoMadic, at the time. Then where the flatline ends closer to Flagstaff, the unit cycled power again and finally konked out. It was the end of the ride for the day and it was getting cold out, so I just thought the batteries in the GoMadic were about dead or just acting up due to the frigid temps.
As you can see from Flagstaff down to Sedona everything looks fine. Started the day with the same batteries in the GoMadic. About 1/2 way to Sedona they finally did die on me, I swapped out for a new set & continued on. Powered up, got satellite connection & hit Start again. No issues.
Something just wigged out on that one section.