mtbr member

Edge 705 disconnects half way through map transfer...

I've just bought a new Garmin topo map on DVD and was trying to transfer it to my Edge 705 via the BaseCamp Install map wizard.

All was going fine, it was taking over an hour to construct and transfer the map, but the green bar was getting bigger and it was 98% done, then... Edge auto powers off and on again, breaking the connection with BaseCamp which cancels the map transfer!

So, I start all over again, and it does it again... and again!

Seems the Edge is somehow programmed to automatically disconnect/reconnect from the PC every hour. And it doesn't have anything specifically to do with map downloads, it does the same if I just plug it in and leave it.

Is this normal, and how can I override it so that I can complete my map transfer without it disconnecting?

Thanks.

trail rat
    Not normal in my experience. I have uploaded multiple map sets that take over six hours it says at the start, so I run it at night, go to bed, and it is done in the morning. I've done this on my 705 and two other ones for friends.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Hmmm, thanks, interesting. So this regular disconnect/re-connect habit my 705 has is not normal. Didn't bother me in the past as I was only uploading my rides and that took about a minute, but now I'm trying to download maps it has become a major PITA! Ok, I'll have to put in a support request to Garmin and see what they have to say...

trail rat
    Did you try Power settings? Is your computer going into Standby or Hibernate? That will shut down USB ports and kill data transfer.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Assume you mean power settings on the PC, not the Edge, as I can't seem to find any power settings on the 705?

Anyway, don't think its that, as I'm using the PC for other things at the time the Edge decides to disconnect itself then a few seconds later reconnect - its not in sleep mode. Anyway, I'll reset my power saving settings temporarily so that it doesn't go into sleep mode and see if that makes any difference, and report back...

But really, does nobody else's 705 just randomly disconnect/re-connect from the computer? I get a beep from the unit as it shuts down, then another as it re-activates. At the same time Windows does its "bing-bong" thing to say something connected by USB has disconnected, and then same as it re-connects, and a dialog box pops up to say an external drive is connected. I had assumed it was just normal, and something to do with the battery re-charging - ie. that it dis-connects once the battery is fully re-charged like a phone does, but then realises its still plugged in, so re-connects again.

By the way, it doesn't power down during a ride, it only has this strange behaviour when connected to the PC.

Edit: Nope, still does it even with the PC set to not go into sleep mode

trail rat
    Yes, I meant PC power settings. I just left my 705 plugged in for the last five hours, while working on it, and no resets. I have never seen that happen in the four years I have had it. I have been active in the Garmin forums, including the 705 forum (https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?21-Edge-705), and never seen that reported that I recall.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

Edge 705 disconnects half way through map transfer...

How are your usb connectors? Do you get the same behavior when you jiggle the cables?

Have you tried using another cable or port?

mtbr member
    Yes, I meant PC power settings. I just left my 705 plugged in for the last five hours, while working on it, and no resets. I have never seen that happen in the four years I have had it. I have been active in the Garmin forums, including the 705 forum (https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?21-Edge-705), and never seen that reported that I recall.
    Yeah, lucky me, I always get the 'unique' problems

How are your usb connectors? Do you get the same behavior when you jiggle the cables?

Have you tried using another cable or port?
    Good thought. Never had a problem with the ports or cable before, but hey its worth lookin into. I try another cable and port. In fact, going down that route, maybe its the socket on the back of the garmin got a loose connection

Still waiting to hear back from Garmin tech support, so keep the suggestions coming in the meantime...

mtbr member
    Me again

Have tried different USB port and different cable... no different

And still no response from Garmin tech support, even though they promise a reply within four working days - poor show guys