mtbr member

Edge 520 Plus and Trailforks

Hi,
    So I know itís still new but hoping someone can answer this.. is it possible to follow a trail on the trailforks app and record the ride as well?

Cheers
    #bleedblackdieevil

mtbr member
    May 2015
    If it works the same as 820 and 1030, then yep, just download the trailforks maps, and you're good to go.
    #darth.rider

since 4/10/2009
    I think I see where this question is coming from. Let me guess, you're used to using phone apps, and most of the map/nav apps available for bike trails don't actually record, as well, correct?

Garmins operate differently. On fitness models like Edges, they don't really do anything until you start the timer (and therefore, record your ride). Recording your ride is the most basic function that they do. They can do other stuff WHILE recording your ride, too, like navigating, showing maps, and other such like that. Whereas on a phone, you'd have to run at least two different apps if you'd want to navigate on Trailforks AND record on Strava. And some phones don't make that very practical.

So yeah, on a Garmin Edge, you absolutely CAN record your ride AND navigate at the same time (doesn't matter if it's a built-in function or from a ConnectIQ app). It's what these things are built to do.

Formerly of Kent
    You start the timer, then hit the back button to get to whatever function you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Actually Iíve got a Fenix 5 that I currently use so well aware of the Garmin system. Just never used the Edge series.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #bleedblackdieevil

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Returning my 520 plus that I bought less than a month ago. As soon as I got up to NC on my trip last week, the thing stopped working and gave me an error every time I tried to load a route, making it pretty useless.

Haymaker MTB
    Mar 2018
    Heavily suggest you look into the Wahoo Bolt.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I had one and returned it. It would constantly beep at me while following an MTB route, saying I was off course even though I wasn't.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    I had one and returned it. It would constantly beep at me while following an MTB route, saying I was off course even though I wasn't.
    This is what happens when trying to follow mtb routes on any dedicated gps. I have no experience attempting to use similar functionality with any phone apps.

What is essentially going on is that the tolerance for being "off track" is too tight. That tolerance works fine on road, but dirt trails are not mapped as accurately, and for that matter, are not fixed so firmly upon the ground - the actual location migrates over time.

It would be nice to be able to adjust that tolerance, as I am sure that a tight tolerance is useful at times, also. But for mtb, it reduces the usability of the function.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I agree with you. The Elemnt Bolt worked perfectly, aside from the annoying beeping. I don't even mind the thing thinking I'm off course and flashing orange lights or whatever, but when I'm going 30+mph downhill trying to pick lines, I don't want the distraction of anything beeping at me. And from what I understood, there's no way to disable it on that unit.

since 4/10/2009
    Garmin at least allows you to turn the off course beep off.
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    I agree with you. The Elemnt Bolt worked perfectly, aside from the annoying beeping. I don't even mind the thing thinking I'm off course and flashing orange lights or whatever, but when I'm going 30+mph downhill trying to pick lines, I don't want the distraction of anything beeping at me. And from what I understood, there's no way to disable it on that unit.
    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk