mtbr member

Edge 510 vs 500 after price drop, and what about Garmin Oregon for mtb?

After a month with my Edge 200 (and a few mtbr posts stating my views that it is more than adequate), I've done an about-face and come to the conclusion that I do want a gps w/ 1 second recording; a close review of a couple of my tracks indicated a lot of zig-zagging and straight lines between points. So the 200 has gone back. When I returned it, I initially thought I'd get the 510, but now that I'm shopping around, I'm noticing that the price of the 500 has dropped to $199 all over the place, making the price difference $130, where it was only about $70 when I bought my 200.

My uses: principally, just tracking and real time data for road and mtb rides (which is why I thought the 200 would be fine). I don't use cadence or HRM, so I'm not even considering the bundled prices. I don't need mapping -- I usually only ride places I know (or with someone who does know the area), and I have my smartphone on me at all times in the rare event I've needed navigation.

Thoughts on the 510 -- touch screen and apparently improved interface is a good thing. Live transmission of rides probably just a (admittedly cool) gimmick I'll use from time to time. Wireless transmission of ride data to Garmin a plus, but you have to plug it in to charge anyway, and to get the data into Strava, so not a big deal. Russian satellite communications a plus, I suppose, although there aren't a lot of trees here in Utah, so I don't anticipate a lot of tracking issues (as long as the dumb thing is recording every second!). Bigger form a bit of a drawback, as well as the added cost if I do an endo and smash the screen on some rocks or break a mount or something like that. Plus, more gimmicks can also mean more bugs, particularly annoying if I'm not using the features anyway.

500 -- seems dangerously close to its end of life, based on how long it has been out, the introduction of the 510 does, the fact that no brick-and-mortar retailers seem to have them in stock (REI and Performance, at least, have the 500 on-line only, while they have lots of 200's and 510's in their stores), and the price point being dropped significantly -- feels like a soft closeout to me. I don't want an unsupported device (I've been there before, and it is frustrating!). GLONASS notwithstanding, I'd expect the 500 should be as accurate as the 510 for my rides. I won't even use all the features of the 500, let alone the 510 -- I'd be more than happy w/ the 200 if it had 1 second recording intervals. I just really want speed, mileage, average speed, and ride time for 95% of my rides. Temp and elevation gain are nice pluses, but only something I'd check once or twice a ride (and the accuracy is apparently not great for those functions on either unit, anyway). Form of the 500 is plenty big for my needs.

So what say you? Is the 500 close to being defunct? Are the 510's limited (for my uses) improvements and the fact that the 510 is new justify spending 60% more on it? $130 won't kill me either way, but $$ is $$.

Note -- As I continue to mull this over (slow day at the office ...), I also wonder how useful a unit like the Oregon is for cycling. Particularly, for displaying real-time speed and information while mounted on the bars, and also being able to upload info I want to Garmin connect and/or Strava. Because I could use an Oregon for hiking as well, killing the proverbial 2 birds with one stone in making my purchase.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Drinkin' the RIP9 Koolaid
    I had a 200, then went looking for something more accurate. I ended up picking the 510 over the 500 and I'm glad I did. I like the 510 a lot, and it's MUCH more accurate. I like the LiveTrack. I have a couple people watch my rides remotely when I'm riding along just in case.

Yes, it's more expensive than the 500, but worth it. The 500 is getting close to it's End Of Life, and is down on features compared to the 510.

for the 500 v 510 argument, the connectivity features are nice if you want that sort of thing, but most don't, so I usually ignored those features. For me, after having set up a number for customers this summer, I find the interface a HUGE improvement. Worth a price premium. The extra satellite connectivity is a good feature. It gives you a faster time-to-first-fix. So forest isn't much of an issue for you in UT, but topography should be. I don't know about you, but when I'm on the northern slope of even a modest hill, I notice a reduction in accuracy. Being that there are real mountains and canyons in UT, the extra satellites should be an improvement.

As for the viability of the Oregon series, I'd say take a look if you are thinking of a do-it-all unit. I use a 450 when I want a GPS with more robust mapping on the bike. It's not always, now that I have a smaller one also that takes care of what I need for more familiar places. One issue with the E500 is that it doesn't even display a basic breadcrumb. That is a feature I use on my Forerunner 310XT even when I'm someplace more familiar. I want to see how much longer till I reconnect a loop or reach somewhere I've been. You kinda get that feature on the E500, but only when following a course. The E510 gives you that function a little easier.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have a Garmin 305 that has been going strong for over 5 years, which is impressive to me for an outdoor electronic device. I wouldn't worry about the 500 being "defunct" at all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by El Train View Post
    I have a Garmin 305 that has been going strong for over 5 years, which is impressive to me for an outdoor electronic device. I wouldn't worry about the 500 being "defunct" at all.
    +1 I have a Garmin 705 that I have used for several years. Seems very accurate to me. Garmin still supports it even though they haven't sold it for a while. I can get it refurbished from Garmin for just over $100 if it fails on me. Having said that, I would still go with the 510 just because the layout looks better.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I had the 500 and got the 810 and like it a lot. My main reason was the bigger screen and being able to see it. I like the live track for my wife. I would get the cadence so you can track your mileage better. Both of my units did not record correct mileage until I sent up the cadence.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies, all. I found a Cyber Monday deal and got the 510 for about $250, so it ended up being only a little more than the Edge 500. Unfortunately, the bottom dropped out of the thermometer and the snow started to fall the day it arrived in the mail, so I haven't had the chance to ride with it yet. Seems like a good unit -- size is ok and the interface (touchscreen) seems nice. If the sun comes out enough to melt the ice off the roads, I'll get a few commutes in with it later this week.
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Where did you get it for $250 ?

mtbr member
    One of the backcountry.com companies had a 20 or 25% off coupon for Cyber Monday. It was only good on a full priced item, and the 500 was already 'on sale' at $200, so I couldn't use it on the 500 and get a screaming deal. That brought the 500 and 510 within too close of a price difference for me to get the 500. I got the GPS unit only, not the hr sensor bundle.
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road