mtbr member

Edge 510 distance recording with GSC 10?

How does one set for this? Rumor has it that it can be done , and hopefully as a default so it doesn't have to be futzed with every ride .
    I'm am becoming doubtful as to it's GPS accuracy (despite being set on one second intervals and using gps + glonas option) because my Samsung S3 cell actually records my rides consistently longer by 3-4%, but is my cell really more accurate?? ( I haven't heard of a GPS over-estimating actual distance traveled...)
    Thus, I'd just as soon record distance off of wheel rotations.
    FWIW the cell is on my back in the top pocket of a camel back, where as the 510 is on the stem. I ride a fair amount in wooded areas and quite twisty shallow quarries, but there are no real canyons here in Florida LOL

Anyone?

If the GPS is reasonably accurate, it will underestimate distances traveled.

However, most cell phone GPSes are little better than the early dedicated receivers and spit out a lot of crap points. On early GPS devices I've used, you would frequently get at least one erratic point along your track that would sometimes be over a mile away from where you actually were. You would not get anything close to an accurate distance until you manually deleted those erratic points. Modern cell phone apps do most of that crunching for you automatically, but they still have a hard time with marginally bad points.

You can see how this works by taking your phone and your 510 on an out-and back or at least 2 laps of some loop. With both devices, you will see what is referred to as "track separation" which isn't really so much of a technical term as it is a word that describes how your multiple passes along the same trail don't line up exactly. If you zoom in far enough, neither will be exact. But you can compare the two.

The twistier the trail, the more separation you get. Also, in the northern hemisphere, when you are on a south-facing slope, you will generally have less separation and on a north-facing slope you will have more. The farther north you go, the more exaggerated this will be because satellite coverage pretty much stops above 60deg.

I don't know anything about how the 510 handles the GSC10 outputs yet. It seems Garmin likes to play around with the way this works every now and again. The last I heard, I think the 500 would use the GSC10 distance over the GPS distance when the GSC10 was present. I would assume the 510 to be similar. But worth noting is that a lot of computer programs will ignore GSC10 sensor readings and calculate distances based on the recorded GPS positions. This is why when you load your data to different places, you might see different speed and distance numbers, because then some will correct for elevation change, some don't, and very few of them really do a lot of sharing about where the stats actually come from. If they do share that info, it's tough to find.

mtbr member
    Thanks Natehawk.
    Funny you mention how sites upload data differently. In my case yesterday, my S3 while running Strava logged 20.8 miles. On the same ride and simultaneously my 510 recorded 21.08 and uploaded this to Garmin connect. But once I uploaded it to Strava via a third party link it reported 20.1 miles and said I was using the Apple iPhern (cell) app - not a Garmin The max speed was reported exactly the same on Strava and Garmin connect sites, though due to distance differences the avg speed differed by .6 mph.
    Last edited by Noclutch; 04-08-2013 at 11:36 AM.